Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

spare rim/tire for use with disc brake conversion with OEM hubs

Go down

spare rim/tire for use with disc brake conversion with OEM hubs Empty spare rim/tire for use with disc brake conversion with OEM hubs

Post by keithg Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:06 pm

So, as you all know, the 13" and 15" original rims will not fit over the Scarebird disc brake conversion. I was using a 14" mag with spacers with a mounted 205/75-14 mounted tire and it was too wide to use the oriignal chip board cover and was looking for a 'better solution'. One option for a spare tire that will fit over it is a steel wheel for a 79-87 Saab 900. The 88 and newer 900 has a different bolt circle and will not work so it must be a -87.

I just got a mini spare off an 81 900 Turbo which is a T115/70D15 on a 15x4.5" rim. It will require an adjustment to the tie down stud to be able to use all the original cover and stuff as it is about 1" shorter, but it does take up less of the trunk. Another  option is to get a steel wheel for the same year range car. The steel wheel is 15x5.5 and will take a 195/60-15 standard tire and will also make a nice spare. I am guessing this will fit the original tie down a bit better but do not have one to try it to be sure. I paid 25.00 plus shipping for a compact spare in good shape that holds air.

Thought I'd share

keithg

Back to top Go down

spare rim/tire for use with disc brake conversion with OEM hubs Empty Re: spare rim/tire for use with disc brake conversion with OEM hubs

Post by keithg Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:27 pm

I did a trial fit it today. The diameter is OK for the disc brake but the offset is not adequate. At least for the '81 spare wheel I have and the CPP 'Big Bore' calipers. I need to pack a 5mm offset spacer with it to have it clear the caliper on the outboard side. With the spacer it clears. Pretty happy I have a spare that 1) will fit and 2) does not require different lug nuts of a different hex size and 3) that it takes up less of the trunk. I made a 1" shorter tie down out of a piece of 3/16-18 all thread and the rest of my original spare tie down kit works perfectly.

compact spare on the LF

Compact spare in trunk

No idea why I need to add links instead of 'attaching' a pic in a link. Regardless, the gdrive links show what I did.

Keith

Last edited by keithg on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:08 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : added links to pics)

keithg

Back to top Go down