Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dropping engine out the bottom

3 posters

Go down

Dropping engine out the bottom Empty Dropping engine out the bottom

Post by ctiwater Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:21 am

Hey Guys,
Haven't posted in awhile but the weather is getting nicer so time to put in a little work. Smile I'm going to swap out the 198 with a 215 I bought off the forum a couple years back. I'm curious if anyone has ever dropped the engine, tranny and front end out the bottom together? I've seen some pics on here, I've looked through the manual but haven't got a great deal of detail on items to look out for (e.g. where to disconnect the brakes, wiring that needs to be disconnected etc.). I'm sure I could sort it out, but just wondering if there was a write up or anything that anyone was aware of.

I do have a 2 Post lift, and figure I might as well use it for this project, plus it'll be nice to get the front end out to clean up since the 198 has had an oil leave from what appears to be 1964. Smile

ctiwater

Back to top Go down

Dropping engine out the bottom Empty Re: Dropping engine out the bottom

Post by custom880 Wed May 01, 2019 3:54 pm

You can pull the engine and trans out the top then pull the rest to clean it up. you need to disconnect your steering, brakes, etc. which will probably be easier once the engine is out of the way. Oh don't forget the ground wire near the front mount point of the suspension.
custom880
custom880

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Thu May 02, 2019 10:10 am

The service manual give you the procedure for dropping out the front suspension with the engine, other than that pretty self explanatory.I guess you can pullout the top but it’s real tight with the heater box in and the front subframe in place. With a lift it’s an easy in/out The 6 is probably easier. While your in there replace your heater core if you haven’t already done so, that’s a real pain with V8 eng in. With front subframe out it gives great access to anything you want to do in eng compartment.

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by ctiwater Sat May 04, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks guys, I swear I looked in the service manual and didn't see it, but you're right 62 I see the mounting positions right there on pages 2-47 and 2-48. It seems a bit scattered throughout the manual. I'll take a closer look at it some more. I'm probably just getting old. Smile

ctiwater

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down