Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best place to buy overhaul engine kit for 215

3 posters

Go down

Best place to buy overhaul engine kit for 215 Empty Best place to buy overhaul engine kit for 215

Post by moparmusclecars Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:02 am

Any good places with decent prices to buy a kit? Also, can you get the upgraded pistons for higher compression and maybe a bump up over stock cam? What does it generally cost to overhaul one of these engines? Same as other engines or more? I have some low compression cylinders and thinking I may need to just overhaul this engine.
moparmusclecars
moparmusclecars

Back to top Go down

Best place to buy overhaul engine kit for 215 Empty Re: Best place to buy overhaul engine kit for 215

Post by cdnwillyg Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:00 am

Not sure where you are located but there are several places in the states for parts, just google buick 215 engines. Now for a great deal not sure on that, from what I have resourced you will be looking at around $1000 depending on how far you want to go. The high compression pistons are available and so are cams. Up here in Canada we aren't as lucky for all our stuff needs to come up from the states and good luck on that right now. Let me know what you find out as I have a spare engine that I would like to do a rebuild on as well.
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

Back to top Go down

Best place to buy overhaul engine kit for 215 Empty Re: Best place to buy overhaul engine kit for 215

Post by 62cutlassconvert Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:02 pm

If it's a 4bbl eng it's already high compression 10.25:1 or more. If its a Buick eng the compression is changed with pistons. If it's an Olds 215 compression is changed with heads. 2bbl is like 9:1 or something. My 4bbl engine is 10.25:1.

D&D (aluminumV8.com) can put together an overhaul kit, not cheap. He has all the upgrade parts too.
That said, if you are dealing with a good machine shop that deals in old iron they can source many of the parts through their suppliers at better prices than D&D. Stuff like Melling, Crower, .

Crower makes hipo cams/lifter sets for these engines, Edelebrock makes an intake, edelbrock carb is a good upgrade, duplex timing set..
Everyone sends the valve train to the guy in Norther CA for rebuild, he does a nice job and was talking about coming out with a HD rocker shaft. Good idea, mine broke.
Might want to think about helicoil or inserts for head bolts. Alum in these engs is not so good and striping out is common. One of my bolts holding the valve train stripped, lifted and the rocker arm shaft broke. On reassembly another one stripped. I then helicoiled all 4 valve train bolt holes. Not enough meat for timesheets IMO.

Mark at D&D has a lot of good info.

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down