Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transmission 63 Lark

3 posters

Go down

Transmission 63 Lark Empty Transmission 63 Lark

Post by Kochampftt Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:37 pm

So I recently purchased a 63 skylark. 3spd auto trans. I'm 30 and I picked the car up from my fiances dad, this is my first project car  and first vehicle made before 1990((my first car, also a buick lesabre awesome ride years ago)).

Anyways, the car is pretty well put together however, the transmission doesn't seem to want to go into reverse. I'm not sure whether its not catching or what honestly havent fooled with it but a few minutes today.

Thanks anyone and everyone for any advice!

Kochampftt

Back to top Go down

Transmission 63 Lark Empty Re: Transmission 63 Lark

Post by regal81455 Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Well very first thing is did you check the fluid? If it's low enough it won't go into gear no matter what you do. That's where Id start. If it's top'd up and still not moving note the color and smell of the fluid, then please report back and we will do our best to help you get rollin'!

BTW be sure to check the fluid with the engine warmed up and running. Be sure to chock the front wheels somehow.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kochampftt Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:44 pm

Yeah, as per the usual. I haven't done that yet, however I did start it and drove it forward and it seemed to shift okay however uncrisp it was.

Kochampftt

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:02 am

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if the fluid level is full then there is a strong chance the trans will need to be overhauled. Please check and report back on what you observe and smell. Hopefully the fluid is just low, has good red color, and doesn't smell burnt. Reverse is typically the 1st gear to go out when a tranny is failing and then it will start eating away at the forward gears starting with 1st and moving up the detent.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kochampftt Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Oh man. Yeah lets pray on it being something to do with the fluid. Perhaps some fluid conditioner would help if theres nothing physically broken as if yet.

In any case if it requires the transmission ti be torn apart and rebuilt where might I find some parts successfully?

Kochampftt

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:32 am

A couple of things.

#1 -- Chances are nothing is "broken", if it's an issue with the trans itself, the clutches and/or bands are probably toast.  They don't typically "break" they just are worn or burnt beyond usefullness.

#2 -- If the car has been sitting, and you find the fluid is low, adding a conditioner would be a good investment when topping off.  This would help the seals, etc..

#3 A 3spd auto is too generic ( atleast for me ) because I'm not certain what transmissions were available in a 63, nor do we know for certain if it was changed out at some point in time.  You would have to identify the actual model for us to truly be of any help but you're best bet would be to remove it ( if necessary ) and take it to a local trans shop and let them do the rebuild.  They can be fickle beasts if not done right and have alot of small, easy to lose pcs inside. Not a job for a novice, not sure what your level of experience is.

#4 You should be able to identify the model of the trans either by locating the tag on the transmission ( if still on it ) OR by looking at the trans pan and trying to identify it that way visually.  Here's a link to look at...

http://www.monstertransmission.com/Identify-Your-Transmission_ep_106-1.html

Probably not all the possibilities but these would likely be the most common.  If you can't find it on this list do a search -- there are alot of sites with this type of info about.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Kochampftt Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Wooody I am fairly certain you are right about the 2spd dynoglide tranny. The 3 was a typo.

Regal, I haven't reviewed or began pulling things apart but ai believe everything is original on this car. The man I purchased it from was the 2nd owner and he drove it a while. However, project space got in the way as well as "prepping" and it got pushed to the way side((into the woods just a bit)) and he only went out and cranked it a few times and would move it forward then push it back a few times. I have faith in the guy, hes my father in law lol

Kochampftt

Back to top Go down

Post by Kochampftt Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:20 pm

I should add that he drove it with no reverse.

Kochampftt

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:31 pm

OK I thought it was odd it was a 3spd ( not sure on the dynaglide though -- mines a 2 spd Dual Path, air cooled transmission ). Perhaps the 63 is different than the 61-62s, Keith??

If it's the Dual Path - they are notorious for having problems with reverse.  I'm willing to bet unless the fluid is low that you are headed towards a rebuild and I'd start saving some beans now.

Is the car not close to you?  Why haven't you checked the fluid yet, what's holding you up besides general life and work?
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down