Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread

+4
Esasky's62Lark
rt338b
Bill
regal81455
8 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread

Post by regal81455 Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:18 pm

Where the screws are is where the interior trim pcs sandwich the run channel between it and the outer moulding. The little holes were where the old w/s was retained by rosebud clips that you seen in the pic of the old w/s in the post above.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread

Post by Esasky's62Lark Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:47 pm

Ugh. See what ur talking about Josh.

Definitely a lot different than what I have.
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:14 pm

Esasky's62Lark wrote:Ugh.

lol! Yep pretty much!

I don't think it will be that bad though - Ill just glue it in like I was saying and it should be fine or maybe I'll pop rivet it in and then color the heads in black - IDK - thoughts?

Or maybe a combo of both -- pop rivet bottom, top, and sides and glue the rest?
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by regal81455 Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:50 pm

woody1640 wrote:3M weatherstrip adhesive works awesome.

Keith

Tx Keith -- that's the stuff I had in mind!! Take it you think I should just glue them in?
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:13 pm

The 3M weatherstrip is bad ass. Should be all you need. ;-)
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by regal81455 Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:19 pm

K - tx guys thats kinda what I thought too -- hopefully the stuff forms easily and doesn't bow open as I make the curve -- pretty gentle curve though so it should be ok I'd think.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:50 pm

Well -- got some more soundproofing done today, floor is all but finished. Just a few spots to cover yet.  Gonna wait to do the doors and qtrs till after the w/s & windows are done.  Ordered enough to do the trunk too but that will be after I've got all these other items done.

Additionally, I got the rear seat / trunk divider finished.  Nutzerts are in and Ill mount it for good once I finish soundproofing the rear deck area.

Also, got the rear deck board cut out -- tryin to decide if I want to put a couple of more speakers in the back deck before I cover it with the new fabric.  The holes are already there for a set.  That would mean running wire for an amp though lol the project keeps growing! Smile

I have one vent window all but done.  I've got two passengers vent windows and I'm trying to decide which to use -- both have their flaws.  Either way Ill have both rebuilt by the end of this extended weekend.

Here's a couple of pix...

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 2 20160329
Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 2 20160328
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:52 pm

I like your dash. Is that a cover or something you have permanently put on there?
Bill
Bill
Admin

https://skylark616263.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:04 pm

LOL all that work and all I get from you Bill is how you like my dash! Shocked  Razz Smile

It's on there pretty permanently -- the dash is covered with the same tweed that is on my seats. I'll add some good pics of it when the interior is all back together. I'm thinking 2-3 more weeks, just depends on how motivated I am lol

regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Yeah.... After I posted it I looked at the post and thought about how that would look. Then thought that I sounded like an a-hole. But it really did catch my eye. I like it a lot. The soundproofing looks great too. You got any idea as to what you will do for speakers/amp?
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:53 pm

No worries Bill - just givin' you some chit! LOL Ill get you a couple better pics of it tomorrow for ya.

As for the speakers and amp situation I really have a TON of options at the moment -- Ive got alot of stereo stuff that is just sitting right now. Ive got a ol' school Alpine V12 4 channel amp that is just crystal clear for high & mids -- one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard to this day and it's gotta be 20+ years old. So I can pretty much do just about anything, I may just end up putting some 6x9s back there since Ive got it all apart and could cut the rear deck as needed but 6.5"s might be enough too. If I do end up goin thru the hassle of amp'n this car Ive also got a Boston Acoustics SPG555 13" sub and Hifonics Brutus 1100W RMS amp that is just dyin' to go in something.

My big bass days are over but I still like to have a full sound and this sub is just so crystal clear. Even at low volumes it does an amazing job with your sound stage.
Just crazy both in SQL and SPL -- here's a pic of it, would look wild in the trunk!

And a link to one on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqTXbZLziDY

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 2 Spg55510

regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:13 pm

I know what you mean. My big bass days are over too. But I do like a little rattle, so I opted for a 6x9 subwoofer. This one was cheap and had pretty great reviews-

http://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w69-1042j-6x9-subwoofer--264-837

I put that in the rear deck, put two 3.5s in the air vents down under the dash, and have a 4/3 channel MTX amp running it. I have a $20 Bluetooth module that runs right into the amp via a 3.5mm to RCA line. It sounds pretty good, but definitely won't win any contests. Just wanted to keep it all hidden. Except for the amp in the trunk, you wouldn't know it was there.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:58 am

That sounds like a pretty decent setup, the 6x9 sub is pretty intriguing for sure.  We're you happy by its performance after install? I can't foresee me spending more money on audio equipment tho when I have the pile I do laying around though.  Right now Ive got the two amps I spoke about above, a alpine 350w RMS mono amp that ran a JL I had awhile back, and a sony 100w RMS 2ch, + a Pioneer AVIC navi/dvd setup lol -- I've already got installed a customautosound stereo w/ bluetooth and hands free built in so Im good on that front.  I've also installed a set of component 5.25"s in the front half of the door w/ the tweets on both ends of the dash and a set of 6.5" in rear half of the doors.  Just tryin' to decide how much more Im motivated to do - I'm leaning towards doing what I stated above, it's just more time involved to do it right.

Also, planning on buying new carpet - want to get rid of the loop and go to the Essex premium plush -- I have samples on the way so I can choose a color although black is likely to remain the choice.  I just want to see what the dark charcoal would look like before settling on it.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:43 am

Even though I am not ready for a sound system yet, I have been giving it some thought.  

I think I may just do 6X9s in the rear as well since after looking at my rear deck, there are no speaker holes at all.  :-(

So, the only factory speaker provision I have right now is the center channel in the front dash.  

My plan is to just get a head unit that looks period correct but has BT.  Install a decent center channel speaker.  Maybe take a page out of Bill's book and install some 3 1/2"s or 5 1/4"s in the lower air vents, and then just install some decent 6x9s in the rear deck.  Nothing too nuts.  

Again, just planning for the near future.  Still have a $hit ton of work to do on my car.  In the process of getting the trans/driveshaft tunnel modified and still have to get all my piping done for the turbo, go over wiring for entire car, install interior, and get it up and running.  

This is my current state of the car:

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 2 12794310

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 2 Img_2010

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 2 Img_2011
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:02 am

Josh - use the stuff you have on hand first. I am happy with my set up. The bluetooth for the $20 is my favorite. Handsfree, I can play Pandora, GPS comes across nice, etc. I forgot you had bought the customautosound.

Chris - Looking great! The 3.5s needed a lot of finagling to get in there without altering the mechanism. I can't open the vents now either. But I really wanted stereo sound, and did not want to cut new holes. You won't get 5.25s in there without cutting out some metal.

So now that I have managed to get us completely off topic, what do you want to discuss next?
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:04 am

Chris-

That engine is gonna be SUPAFLY! for sure. Can't wait to see you get it going -- wish I was closer I'd be over helpin' ya out! Smile

Look into the customautosound stereo -- it fit perfectly, looks like the original ( for the most part ), has the BT and hands free and was under $250.00. Highly recommend it.

You guys are pushing me to put the 6x9's in -- guess Ill have to take another look at it tonight or over the weekend and make a decision lol
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:05 am

Bill wrote:Chris - Looking great! The 3.5s needed a lot of finagling to get in there without altering the mechanism. I can't open the vents now either. But I really wanted stereo sound, and did not want to cut new holes. You won't get 5.25s in there without cutting out some metal.

So now that I have managed to get us completely off topic, what do you want to discuss next?

That's the only reason why I didn't use that space was the vents -- I wanted to keep them working.

Hell who wanted to stay on topic anyways lol Laughing
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:02 am

regal81455 wrote:Chris-

That engine is gonna be SUPAFLY! for sure.  Can't wait to see you get it going -- wish I was closer I'd be over helpin' ya out! Smile

Look into the customautosound stereo -- it fit perfectly, looks like the original ( for the most part ), has the BT and hands free and was under $250.00.  Highly recommend it.

You guys are pushing me to put the 6x9's in -- guess Ill have to take another look at it tonight or over the weekend and make a decision lol

Hope so. Only going to put 3-5 PSI in her tops. She's a factory 11:1 motor so I don't want to go too nuts.

I am assuming that's the one you have Josh? That was the one I was eyeballing.

Do the 6X9s.

I can go off topic if you guys want.

Josh, how is the BB Regal coming along?

Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:25 am

Esasky's62Lark wrote:
regal81455 wrote:Chris-

That engine is gonna be SUPAFLY! for sure.  Can't wait to see you get it going -- wish I was closer I'd be over helpin' ya out! Smile

Look into the customautosound stereo -- it fit perfectly, looks like the original ( for the most part ), has the BT and hands free and was under $250.00.  Highly recommend it.

Hope so.  Only going to put 3-5 PSI in her tops.  She's a factory 11:1 motor so I don't want to go too nuts.  

I am assuming that's the one you have Josh?  That was the one I was eyeballing.  

Do the 6X9s.  

I can go off topic if you guys want.  

Josh, how is the BB Regal coming along?

Yeah I hear that -- don't over do it boost is usually for low comp builds.

Yes, that would be correct. Can't remember which model # right off hand but when you're ready to move forward just lmk and Ill check for ya.

I concur on the 6x9s.

The BB Regal took a big stumble awhile back, not sure if I had mentioned it or not but after all the work I did on the junkyard motor build turned out it had lower end noise of some kind. I've actually sadly scrapped the whole project. Most of the go fast goodies were sold over the last month, the roller sold about the same time and is supposed to be picked p in the next week or two, still have a crazy badass trans but I don't what Im gonna do with it.

I'm really bummed out about it but it was time to move on from that car - it sucked me dry physically, emotionally, and financially. Cars are supposed to be a fun thing, not a burden on my life and family. I understand they tend to cost big dollars but you have to know when to cut the cord and this one was probably long overdue.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:32 am

Yeah I hear that -- don't over do it boost is usually for low comp builds.

Yes, that would be correct.  Can't remember which model # right off hand but when you're ready to move forward just lmk and Ill check for ya.

I concur on the 6x9s.

The BB Regal took a big stumble awhile back, not sure if I had mentioned it or not but after all the work I did on the junkyard motor build turned out it had lower end noise of some kind.  I've actually sadly scrapped the whole project.  Most of the go fast goodies were sold over the last month, the roller sold about the same time and is supposed to be picked p in the next week or two, still have a crazy badass trans but I don't what Im gonna do with it.

I'm really bummed out about it but it was time to move on from that car - it sucked me dry physically, emotionally, and financially.  Cars are supposed to be a fun thing, not a burden on my life and family.  I understand they tend to cost big dollars but you have to know when to cut the cord and this one was probably long overdue.[/quote]

Definitely. My GN compression ratio is right around 8.5:1. That's why I can put 30 PSI if needed. :-)

Ok. Will definitely let you know when I am closer.

Aww man. That sucks. Man, if I would have known you were scrapping the project, I may have picked it up off of you.

Makes total sense man. I got to that point on this Skylark and had the car up for sale. Was going to get a car that was already done and just "tinker" with it. Between my wife and my hot rod buddy, they convinced me to keep it and finish it. Now, I am in full force baby! :-)
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:53 am

I don't know that you'd have liked the price I was asking -- in and around $11K as it stood -- I had well over $20K invested in it, not including labor.

If  you knew the whole story behind that car you'd understand where I am at.  That junkyard motor was the 4th 455 I had in it over the course of 15yrs -- in those 15yrs of owning it I only probably got one solid year of driving it out of it and that was 10+ yrs ago.  That's the abbreviated version -- the heartaches along the way are a whole story in itself.  That is ALOT of wasted time, money, and effort on vehicle that Ill never get back.  The wife was behind me the whole time and still is but like I said it was time to cut the cord.

There will be other cars but for now I'm focused on this one, becoming debt free, and my retirement savings.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:02 am

Very hard to get back what you put into cars; especially when it comes to aftermarket performance parts.

Really? You were having that many issues with motors? I am sure they are. Totally understand.

Well, now you can focus on the Skylark. Make that the way you want it. They are super neat cars and you don't see them around very often.

just sucks because there is virtually no aftermarket support for them. I am finding out that a lot of interior parts and such from the Tempest is a direct replacement. And, for some strange reason, there is a good amount of aftermarket support for the Tempest.

For interior, I am planning on getting seat covers and front and rear door panels from PUI. They are made for the Tempest but interior is basically identical in form and fit; just difference in material design.

PUI interior stuff is super cheap too; especially since Summit Racing is one of their distributors. :-)

Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:16 am

Esasky's62Lark wrote:Really?  You were having that many issues with motors?

Yes, I don't get it either, I'm pretty sure the car was cursed from day one.

The original 455 that came in the car blew a piston out the sidewall of the block -- big enough I could stick my fist through it! LOL

The 2nd 455, the distrubutor gear chewed up the cam gear to the point it was knife edged and skipping timing.

The 3rd 455, which I had built from scratch and had $8K+ in, had a thrust bearing failure within about 100 miles of use. I spent weeks and huge $$ trying to diagnose why, looked at all the usual suspects and found nothing out of sorts.

Th 4th and final 455 had the lower end noise as noted previously.

None of them had anything to do with me, just dumb luck.

I may end up with a Tempest interior too BUT Im going to attempt to save my original interior by doing new door cards, dying the existing vinyl, and replacing the carpet on the doors with some new leather that will match the rear package tray. Will see how it goes -- the Tempest stuff is my fall back.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next