Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just had the car painted, now having tail light issues

2 posters

Go down

Just had the car painted, now having tail light issues Empty Just had the car painted, now having tail light issues

Post by owlthathurts Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:01 pm

So, I just had the car painted economy style. I had them just spray some rubber in the trunk while they were at it. I figured it would help with some sound deadening. I got the car all back together and now I'm having a weird issue with my passenger tail light.

I've checked the voltage, and it's getting just under 12 volts with the engine off. The parking lights will light up fully, but the brake light on that side does not light up at all. The blinker on that side doesn't work now either. I have also noticed that my *driver side* interior dome does not light up now. All of the lights work as they are supposed to besides the passenger brake light, passenger side blinker, and driver side dome light.

I wire wheeled through to the body where the tail light assembly bolts on, so I know it's not a ground issue at that point as I first suspected with the rubber sprayed in there. I replaced the flasher and the brake light switch to no avail.

What else could it be?? It is getting 12 volts when it wants to, so I feel like the wiring is as good as it was before I brought it in. Also, they did no assembly/disassembly at the shop. I took everything off and put it back on. So, I don't think anything should have been damaged.. scratch
owlthathurts
owlthathurts

Back to top Go down

Just had the car painted, now having tail light issues Empty Re: Just had the car painted, now having tail light issues

Post by cdnwillyg Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:46 pm

If memory serves me right the brake light goes thru the signal switch on the steering column, might want to check it there with a schematic?
Found this for you.
Just had the car painted, now having tail light issues Mwireb10
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

owlthathurts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Just had the car painted, now having tail light issues Empty Re: Just had the car painted, now having tail light issues

Post by cdnwillyg Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:47 pm

scratch

Last edited by cdnwillyg on Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : double post)
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

Back to top Go down

Post by owlthathurts Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:14 pm

Yeah, I've been reading that about the steering column switch on some Corvette forums. Seems those cars get stuck on or off a lot(and they specifically said after being at a dusty body shop).

And those wiring charts might as well be in Chinese lol. It's so confusing. I have one printed out, but have just been sitting on it as my last resort silent
owlthathurts
owlthathurts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down