Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edelbrock carb to orig air cleaner adapter?

2 posters

Go down

Edelbrock carb to orig air cleaner adapter? Empty Edelbrock carb to orig air cleaner adapter?

Post by 62cutlassconvert Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:27 pm

I am a new member here but do belong to the OldsJetfire forum. Since so many things are the same or similar I thought this may be a good forum for additional info. Thanks for existing.

I am using an Edelbrock 1403 carb on my new eng and want to use the original air cleaner assemblly. The Edelbrock carb needs a 5.125″ hole in the aircleaner base and the stock air cleaner base hole is way too small. Looked for adapters but haven’t found any that go from a large carb to smaller aircleaner and can’t find a replacement base with the larger hole for the 15″ diameter top.

Anybody solved this problem and if so what did you do?

Thanks

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Edelbrock carb to orig air cleaner adapter? Empty Re: Edelbrock carb to orig air cleaner adapter?

Post by 62cutlassconvert Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:46 pm

So I ended up getting a nice billet alum air cleaner riser with an “O” ring from Summit for $18.00. It’s a 2″ riser that fits the 5.125″ Edelbrock carb. The stock air cleaner bottom is a 4.250" ID outlet and fits inside the riser with the O ring against the air cleaner. With the shorter Edelbrock carb and the air cleaner outlet fitting down inside the riser it places the air cleaner at about the same height as the stock 4GC with the air cleaner mounted. It’s a little smaller outlet in the air cleaner than carb but Edelbrock didn’t think it would be an issue. You look directly at the primary and secondary carb inlets when the bottom is mounted up so it looks like good airflow should be achieved with a fully orig air cleaner. If there appears to be an issue I would go with Joe’s suggestion of modern 14″ base with the 5.125" opeing on the stock 15" top, allowing an open ring on the bottom of the aircleaner but still sealing to the 10" aircleaner . Does anyone think air flow would be an issue with the stock bottom?

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Edelbrock carb to orig air cleaner adapter? Empty Re: Edelbrock carb to orig air cleaner adapter?

Post by 62cutlassconvert Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:52 pm

Nothing like a good cylinder wall gas wash from a carb at shut down to shorten eng life!

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down