Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How far along are you?

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How far along are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far along are you?

Post by Bill Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:11 pm

I love your photobucket account. Pictures make it soo much easier to understand how something was done. I am taking the same approach- take on a couple of things each year so that I can enjoy my car in the summer.
Bill
Bill
Admin

https://skylark616263.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pthurman48 Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:01 pm

My 61 Special Delux is a daily driver now.  I bought it after sitting for 30 yrs. paying only $400. I worked on it for about 3 yrs.  Overhauled the 215 and dual path, Everything is original, except for GM one wire alterator.  I did all the rest of the body work(its white, some of bondo), looks ok for a daily driver.  Motor  numbers and body numbers match, but the rear of the car behind the rear seat has been replaced(due to old wreck) with a 62 Special rear quarter panel and trunk(under car you can see the welding).  All running gear and brakes are repairded/replaced.  All new interor like orig.  I like driving it daily, it runs good with the traffic, it stops with no problems, without disc. Smile
pthurman48
pthurman48

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:11 pm

Daily Driver? That is awesome. $400 is a cheap driver too, regardless of how cool the car is. How long has it been a daily driver?
Bill
Bill
Admin

https://skylark616263.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pthurman48 Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:34 am

Hi Bill,
 I bought the car 4 yrs. ago. It had 71,000 miles on it then.  I stated driving as soon as I got the motor and tranny overhauled.  The restore/repair process is about 95% complete(50% mint) took about 2 yrs.  So I would say I have been driving 2 yrs.  In the summer in East Texas(Lufkin), without air it gets hot to drive during mid-day.  I have now put a total of 7,000 miles on it.
Just FYI:  I remember the saturday morning I went to Palestine,TX with my father to pickup a new 61 Buick Special 4 door sedan, it had the 215 with 3 speed on the column.  That little car was FAST.  I get it in '67 and drove it for 2 yrs.  The next buick was in '72, it was a 62 special convertible(215 and auto), the motor gave up, I replaced it with the Olds F-85 motor(took 4 bbl. manifold off buick 215 and put on the olds motor. Lots of other parts swapping on those two cars.  Now this one!!
pthurman48
pthurman48

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum