Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rear end rebuild kit

2 posters

Go down

rear end rebuild kit Empty rear end rebuild kit

Post by gary Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi all Gary here; I want to clean up the rear end on my 63 skylark. Does anyone know of a rebuild kit (seals bearings gaskets, what ever I might need. I called one place AZ Diff and they wanted too know what type of rear end I have in it, and I can't find it anywhere. any and all help is appreciated. Tx in advance.

gary

Back to top Go down

rear end rebuild kit Empty Re: rear end rebuild kit

Post by keithg Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:32 pm

Unless someone has it documented with CR seal numbers and Timken bearing numbers, it will have to be torn down first to get the part numbers. That may be written in the margins of my manual, but I doubt it. It is an odd ball diff. Common to 61-63 Buick Special/Skylark and Olds F85/Cutlass only.
I doubt that a cover gasket can be purchased, but one can pretty easily be made from gasket material and the cover. The outer seals and pinion seal can probably be sourced with the number as well as the carrier bearings and pinion bearings. My guess is they are pretty 'standard' sized, but I do not know that.

keithg

Back to top Go down