Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aluminum Champion radiators

+5
StageCat
Bill
Esasky's62Lark
regal81455
dowxxpa
9 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Aluminum Champion radiators - Page 2 Empty Re: Aluminum Champion radiators

Post by Esasky's62Lark Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:44 pm

Josh,

This is the one I am thinking of using.

http://www.championradiators.com/product/CC1649

I thought this was the one you originally were planning on trying. Seems that dimensions may work.
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Esasky's62Lark Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:39 pm

woody1640 wrote:
Esasky's62Lark wrote:Josh,

This is the one I am thinking of using.

http://www.championradiators.com/product/CC1649

I thought this was the one you originally were planning on trying.  Seems that dimensions may work.

Chris: That is the radiator I have, Champion # 1649.

Keith

Keith,

Then definitely looking forward to your measurements. Think the only issue I saw from the original radiator measurements were that the filler may be a little to high.

Chris
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:46 pm

Never even seen this one but....

Its gonna be a bout an 1" too tall, not sure about the tank to tank dimension.  Additionally, I think you MIGHT end up having a problem with the lower hose location but I could be wrong.  The lower hose size is too big ( but could be bushed I suppose ) and the tanks are too wide but that could be addressed too I suppose.  I was really looking for a drop-in solution since my car is in such good original shape -- I don't want to be hacking up or modifying too much at this point.  With that being said this certainly looks to be a decent candidate and I'll be following...

Josh
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:56 pm

regal81455 wrote:Never even seen this one but....

Its gonna be a bout an 1" too tall, not sure about the tank to tank dimension.  Additionally, I think you MIGHT end up having a problem with the lower hose location but I could be wrong.  The lower hose size is too big ( but could be bushed I suppose ) and the tanks are too wide but that could be addressed too I suppose.  I was really looking for a drop-in solution since my car is in such good original shape -- I don't want to be hacking up or modifying too much at this point.  With that being said this certainly looks to be a decent candidate and I'll be following...

Josh

I am gonna wait to see what Keith comes up with and go from there. OPGI has our direct replacements but they are close to $400.00. Hoping this one works.

Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:10 pm

Esasky's62Lark wrote:

Josh

I am gonna wait to see what Keith comes up with and go from there.  OPGI has our direct replacements but they are close to $400.00.  Hoping this one works.

HAHA yeah seen those when I started this journey and said screw that --- my stocker does fine as is and I don't want another stocker -- it's either an upgrade or stay put. What a Face
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:20 pm

regal81455 wrote:
Esasky's62Lark wrote:

Josh

I am gonna wait to see what Keith comes up with and go from there.  OPGI has our direct replacements but they are close to $400.00.  Hoping this one works.

HAHA yeah seen those when I started this journey and said screw that --- my stocker does fine as is and I don't want another stocker -- it's either an upgrade or stay put.  What a Face

I would love to have a stocker at a decent price being the one I have will not work on my car. Too big. Not too many people realize they made 2 different size radiators for our cars....
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:47 pm

I certainly did not know there were 2 different sizes. The replacement I was looking at was the same one that Chris was looking at and that Woody has. The overall height is fine - until you take into account the neck. Josh - you make it sound like there might be some issues with the width on that one? That is the one measurement I didn't look at as I was only concerned about the hood clearance.

I took a closer look at mine. One of the downtubes has been completely eroded. I took it to my buddy's shop. His doesn't fix radiators, but one of the other locations does. He is going to get me an estimate. I guess we will start there. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Woody has some good news. That solution would be best.
Bill
Bill
Admin

https://skylark616263.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:49 pm

Oh I forgot - Josh, When I said mounts I meant the core support. I was thinking I would sawzall where the radiator sits and fabricate a support that bolted in to the metal still there.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:53 pm

What I meant was in girth, the stocker is 2.375", this one is 2.5" but that should be something that can be dealt with.  The upper and lower hose locations could end up being a problem too depending on how you had to locate it -- thankfully it is narrower side to side then the stocker but the stock battery tray doesn't leave alot of room ( thats why the stock upper is offset and not at the corner of the upper tank ) and the lower might be a problem trying to get the hose to come in straight on -- my has a goose neck on it and I think its due to the location of the filter but could be wrong or remembering incorrectly -- haven't really looked at this issue since I gave up on the custom units. I too am hopeful that this is a viable solution but again I hope it doesn't require any modifications to take place that can't be easily reversed or Ill be looking for another solution yet.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Bill wrote:Oh I forgot - Josh, When I said mounts I meant the core support. I was thinking I would sawzall where the radiator sits and fabricate a support that bolted in to the metal still there.

Certainly a possibility but I wouldn't be cutting up my core support for this.  That's just me and my situation.  I can understand yours.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:23 pm

yeah - I would rather not either. Just seeing what the options are though, or what others have done. I really do not want to pay $200 to have the stocker fixed, only to have a sub-par cooling solution when $200 buys me a three core modern radiator. The new option is so much more appealing to me - until you have to hack it apart. Either way - ug.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:33 pm

Did you try to close the hood by chance? I thought that was the clearance issue.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:41 pm

A quick look on O'Reily's website makes it look like I could find a hose that would work. They have some 90 degree bends and some that have 2 different sizes on the ends. I will do more research tomorrow.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:14 pm

My original is still at my buddy's shop, but I am about 99% ready to pull the trigger on the 1649 Champion based on Woody's trial fit. My buddy was going to check to see what it would cost to re-core, but I know that will be more than the $200 I would spend on the Champion.

Woody - Thanks for doing this!! I think I can safely say that we all appreciate you trying it out. Hope it didn't take up too much of your time.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:09 pm

That would be awesome. If you don't mind, please take pics of the mount modification process since several of us would like to see it.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:03 am

If I am not mistaken, the lower rad mounts are actually bolted on. Should be able to take them off, lengthen them and remount for proper fit.

A new top mount bracket can be made or lengthen the old one to keep factory look.

Looking forward to your findings too Keith! Planning on purchasing the radiator regardless since its pretty much the closest aftermarket one we have offered for our cars.
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:01 pm

Good Job Keith! Curious though -- your OEM top mount doesn't look anything like mine -- the stamping is completely different so whatever it is that you did may work on a 63 but I'm having my doubts on the 61-62's w/o cutting up the OEM part.

Additionally it looks like either 63's have different bracing or your parts car is missing it along the passenger side, not sure if this would affect fitment or not but it's certainly something Id have to contend with.

I'm not trying to be a debby downer but until I see one installed in a completed engine compartment I still have my doubts that it's as easy as what you've portrayed - many more obstacles at least in my engine compartment that have to be worked around.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:54 pm

Here's a pic of my hold down --

Aluminum Champion radiators - Page 2 Sam_1910

Aluminum Champion radiators - Page 2 Sam_1911

Ill have to try to get pics of the structural stuff tomorrow maybe -- these were pics I had taken when I sent my old rad out to be redone in aluminum ( to no avail of course ).
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:57 pm

Notice how yours only has two bolt holes from the factory and mine has three... Now I'm not saying a guy couldn't make mine work cuz Im sure he could but I don't want to be cutting on my car -- thats my whole problem with the rads that are offered so far. Either they require cutting on the car or custom fabrication which takes away from the OEM look -- I really wish we could just have a damn drop in unit. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next