Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Absolute beginner's shopping list for alternator conversion?

4 posters

Go down

Absolute beginner's shopping list for alternator conversion? Empty Absolute beginner's shopping list for alternator conversion?

Post by owlthathurts Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:37 pm

Hey all, I am having power issues and actually got stranded at 2am the other night. I have a little 100 watt amp running some Undercover II's in the back floorboards(our seats don't even have enough clearance for those to hide). My generator light is always on... and then it wouldn't start after a pit stop the other night. Battery is one week old.

SO, I thought I would do the upgrade to an alternator(I'd like to put a 10' in the trunk as well, so figured this is the right thing to do). I read the 'how-to' section, but it was pretty specific to those guy's issues. I was hoping I could paste some links in here and you experts could advise.. I would really appreciate the guidance.

Alternators are way cheaper than I expected, so I figured I should get a good one with plenty of competence(Volts+Amps) to run an amp and speakers.

I have pulled, checked the brushes, and reinstalled my generator before, so I feel pretty confident that I can pull this off myself.

Aside from the question of what to buy, can anyone clue me in on any new wiring that this might involve? This car car no A/C.

I read in the 'how-to' forum about the '63 brackets, will this work?
https://www.autopartsway.com/partlist.cfm?buick/1963/skylark/base/3.5l-v8/allb/electrical,-charging-and-starting/alternator-*-generator-and-related-components/alternator-bracket

And I really don't know where to start when choosing an alternator.. someone mentioned a 12Si? I'd like to have a really good one. I just don't know if you can overdo it with these things.

Also, will I be removing/bypassing anything like the regulator?

Many thanks in advance,
Jason
owlthathurts
owlthathurts

Back to top Go down

Absolute beginner's shopping list for alternator conversion? Empty Re: Absolute beginner's shopping list for alternator conversion?

Post by gearznbeerz49 Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:49 pm

Check out this write-up from MAD Enterprises that has a tremendous amount of information about Delco GM alternators. I found the "clocking" information particularly helpful in choosing the correct unit and being able to wire it easily:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

The guys at MAD are also big believers in using relays to trigger electrical devices, such as stereo amps, headlights, fans, etc. That may also help with keeping your battery fresh.

Good luck!
gearznbeerz49
gearznbeerz49

owlthathurts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Absolute beginner's shopping list for alternator conversion? Empty Re: Absolute beginner's shopping list for alternator conversion?

Post by 62cutlassconvert Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:13 pm

MAD is really good. Helped with my 10si conversion. Has kits for all kinds of stuff and if you can get him on the phone he'll impart lots of info.

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by keithg Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:56 am

Neat parts from MrGasket. Don't see how they fit, but the engine call-out is correct. I have an alternator bracket from a '63. It looks a lot different. I took the old 63 alternator to the auto parts place and selected one with an internal regulator and clocked the housing then spliced the connector for it into the wiring harness. My recommendation is to *NOT* get a cheap reman alternator. So many of them especially these old style 10-SI ones are poorly re-manufactured. Some (all?) have cheap bearings in them which won't last and I am guessing the brushes and regulator may also be suspect. I bought a 'new' one which was built in the USA with a lifetime warranty. I also have a set of proper C3 fit SKF bearings on hand just in case it starts making noise.
I've been bit by poorly rebuilt alternators in other vehicles and am very picky and wary as it can strand you.
I also recommend MAD.

keithg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down