Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help

3 posters

Go down

Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help Empty Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help

Post by 62cutlassconvert Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:53 am

Just got my new top. Robbins Stayfast/canvas top. Zip out rear window.  Looks great. Nice and tight. New side cables in place. New pads, new front tack strip, new weatherstrip, felt strip in place on first small bow, old top full removed,  refinished/adjusted/lubed top frame. Just had my first drive home from the top shop.

Problem is when I hit about 45+ with the drivers window down it starts flapping and slapping the 2nd small bow back making a snapping sound, irritating. Some drumming action of the material between the front windshield bow and the first small bow.

I will be taking more drives soon and getting with the installer but thought I would talk to the convertible owners of these cars here to see what is typical.

Hoping for specific feedback on the 61-63 F85/Cutlass convertible.

Thanks

Last edited by 62cutlassconvert on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help Empty Re: Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help

Post by regal81455 Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:38 am

I don't have a vert but did you try running around with the passenger side cracked? Maybe it will equalize the cabin pressures?? I know it seems new cars suffer from something similar unless a 2nd window is cracked.. not sure if the same thing though.

And share some pics!! Smile
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help Empty Re: Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help

Post by 62cutlassconvert Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:44 am

Thanks for suggestion and I'll give it a try but nope, haven't really tried anything yet, just drove home with the new top.

Wondering what is the "normal" from the convertible owners?

You're right, gotta get some pictures up.

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:41 am

Must be some active convertible people out there.

How’s your top act compared to mine?

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:57 pm

Can't help here just yet only been around the block a couple times, and my top doesn't have cables so probably different effects anyhow.
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:00 pm

WOW I just found out that all Y body convertibles require the side cables and maybe the solution to my poor fit around the doors.
Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help Thumbn56
Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help 20180912
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:16 am

The top cables are available from the usual suspects. Just make sure you get ones specifically for your year and model.

When I got my top I talked to the installer about getting cables and he said he like to make them himself and included in the install price he had quoted me. Just a secured loop at each end. The orig ones have a hook at one end and a little bracket at the other that allows for fitting. My installer also made the “well” out of a robust vinyl rather than buying one.

I don’t think the cables will pull your top down more, they just keep the edges down rather than pulled up by the wind.

If your top is tight that may be as good as it gets. If not see if it can be re-stretched.

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks for your input, any pics of the attachment spots for the cables?
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:28 am

I'll see if I can take a couple for you. Don't know if I can get to the rear ones. I may have some old pics of the bare top.

Will be later on today though.

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:38 am

Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help Kimg0111
Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help Kimg0110
See if these work. Old pics

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:40 am

Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help Kimg0112
Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help Kimg0113
Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help Kimg0112

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:42 am

Good as I can get

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:45 am

Those are great thank you so much, shows me what style to get as well cheers
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:54 am

Great, glad they were where I thought they were.

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:00 pm

Well after a little more digging I found out that this is the style for the Y body convertible tension cables for 62, 63 Buick, Pontiac and Olds should be the same???? But I guess any should work if the length is right, the spring on these may be a good or bad thing  affraid
I need to get access to  the spot on my frame and see what attachment points are there.
Slapping, Flapping New Convertible Top-Help Cables10
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:24 pm

Not the same as the olds, no spring. We have 2 62 convertibles and they’re both the same as my pics. Those are the ones I saw as correct when I ckd the suppliers. But if the spring type fits why not. I think I considered those at one time, seems like a good idea, maybe an upgrade.

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down