Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front Subframe Bushings

+4
62cutlassconvert
skylarkman2
regal81455
keithg
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Front Subframe Bushings - Page 2 Empty Re: Front Subframe Bushings

Post by keithg Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:37 am

Finally got to this today. This is a link to my drawing of the side mount.
Side Mount
The frame height that it is clamping is 2.5". I need to measure again to get the approximate thickness of the sub frame at the front. I will make a single mold to mold a full set at a time. That is 6 cavities an. I will also need to make the tubes and washers as well.
If anyone has a sub frame out or can easily measure the sub frame thickness at the front, that would be helpful. The 3/4" height is the distance from the top surface of the sub frame to the unibody. When measuring the existing mount, it is from the shoulder of the steel tube to the bottom side of the flange on the metal shell. I am measuring it on one a lister sent me, but it has been cut apart.

as for the 61 vs 62 mount... The distance between the top of the sub frame to the unibody should be the same at 3/4". @62cutlassconvt. Can you verify this?

You will need to remove your existing mounts then this should bolt in. The urethane top hat on top isolates the subframe when loaded normally and the washers and bold heads support when 'jumping'?

keithg

Back to top Go down

Post by keithg Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:48 am

62cutlassconvert wrote:Here's a picture of the difference between the 61 mounts and 62-63 mounts. 61 mounts have the jagged top. Sorry, not removing the mounts at this time.  
{snip}

Can you measure the height from the step on the center tube to the underside of the flange on the 61 mount? On the 62, it measures 3/4". This is what I am designing to and if it is the same, I have no idea why the 61 mounts in a 62 would sit differently. I am in the process of making a mold and molding them. I am going to use the vytaflex 60 which is 60 durometer.

Keith

keithg

Back to top Go down

Post by keithg Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:37 pm

I just measured the front center mount it has a grip of 1.5" with the same distance between the top of the frame and the unibody of 0.75". I am going to order some plastic for the mold.

keithg

Back to top Go down

Post by pthurman48 Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:15 pm

Hello Kieth,
I hope you are making progress on this project. I have been having this problem for several years. I found a guy that had a front end out and sold me his old mounts. I had them put in by a front end shop. Now the popping noise is worse, a lot worse. I still would like a set as soon as you can make them! Best of luck and have great days.

Pat Thurman
pthurman48
pthurman48

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2