Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upholstery

3 posters

Go down

Upholstery  Empty Upholstery

Post by ctiwater Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Hey guys, just curious what everyone else has done for upholstery work on their cars. My 63 has the original upholstery in need of some work, but the shops local to me don't seem too interested in the job. :-/ LeBaron Bonney said they'd be able to make me the seat covers, but then have failed to get back to me on two occasions. Was thinking of just getting something "close" from someone like automotiveinteriors.com, based on some other forums I've looked into the work seems decent enough. Any thoughts from you guys..... horror stories? I know SMS has the exact materials, just not sure if it's really worth it for a car that isn't worth all that much (and that I rarely if ever drive..... well never drive now that I've still yet to receive my parts from scarebird... but I digress). Shocked

ctiwater

Back to top Go down

Upholstery  Empty Re: Upholstery

Post by regal81455 Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:48 am

Depending on the severity of the issue you could always just redo it yourself -- I detailed how I re-did mine in my huge thread - here's a link ...

https://skylark616263.forumotion.com/t151-josh-s-2016-upgrade-mega-thread

Additionally, alot of people have used the door panels and upholstery from the 61-63 tempests -- this stuff can be purchased through Ames Performance. http://www.amesperf.com/

Between the two you should be able to get a pretty decent looking interior done.

As for Scarebird -- yeah they can be slow if you ordered your brackets and they are awaiting enough orders to make a "run" worth THEIR time. I think it took 8-10 weeks before I got my set. Stay patient they will come through. Use this time to review the braking upgrade thread so you're prepared for when your brackets do arrive. It's hardly a bolt on deal. Another link...

https://skylark616263.forumotion.com/t9-front-disc-brake-conversion-scarebird

Feel free to hmu if you need any guidance!

Josh
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ctiwater Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks Josh, I'll have to check out Ames.

Yeah I guess Scarebird had some issues with one of their vendors too and they moved to NM so it's been extra long from what they've told me. I've done a lot of the work on that other thread. I got the hubs turned and faced as was recommended, and have the hoses and lines done, new studs etc. (again thanks for the advice on all that). Just waiting on those to see what other modifications I may run into in the mean time. Been keeping busy in the mean time, threw on some new shocks on all 4 corners, put in the rear seat belts, got the rims all polished up....getting there. Smile

ctiwater

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark-CT Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Mark-CT
Mark-CT

Back to top Go down

Post by ctiwater Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Those look good Mark. I was just emailing with the folks at automotive interiors this morning. Weird when I searched the forum for upholstery I didn't get any of the links you guys provided. Appreciate the links!!

ctiwater

Back to top Go down

Post by ctiwater Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:09 am

Hey Josh,
I was looking again at the mega thread and didn't see where you got the seat covers.... I could be getting up there in age (that's my story)... Anyhow, I see it looks like you got the padding and stuff from Ames, is that where you got the covers as well? I don't see a split bench front listed, but my car is the same as yours it appears. If that is where you got yours I'll give them a ring Monday. Automotive Interiors told me they didn't make a set for the 2 Dr, so I'd need to send my current ones to have them sew me up a new set.

ctiwater

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:04 am

LOL -- you didn't miss anything in my thread -- the split bench ( which is indeed original to the car ) and the rear were recovered locally -- I'm not sure if there are any suppliers out there supplying covers pre-made.

All of the padding and backer materials etc were sourced locally as well ( Menards and Joanne Fabrics ). The interior panels were stripped from there old backing/padding and reused on the new. It took some extra care and patience but should be accomplishable by anyone willing to put in the time.

I used SEM cleaners and dye products to restore the coloring of the panels.

Hope that helps!
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ctiwater Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:40 am

I was sort of bummed I was looking at carpet tonight and it looks like trim parts no longer sells the carpet for our cars.... well I looked for a 63 special and nothing came up.... even looked for the part number from your mega thread and nothing came up..... so I think I'll give them a call after the holiday. I've got most my interior parts sourced and in route at this point so going to knock out some weatherstripping and sound proofing in the mean time (sound familiar). Now that the brakes are done..... guess I'll have to move on to tossing in the 215 I bought.... this 198 will make a good boat anchor.... or some more fun use. Smile

ctiwater

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down