Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

62 Convertible Seat adjuster lever spring

2 posters

Go down

62 Convertible Seat adjuster lever spring Empty 62 Convertible Seat adjuster lever spring

Post by 62cutlassconvert Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:10 pm

I originally posted this on the OLDs Jetfirre site but no help so I thought I would try here. Don't know if the Buicks have a different setup from the coupes to the convertibles but it's worth a try.

I have no springs for the adjuster lever or the front back tensioned movement of the seat.

Evidently the seats for the Jetfire(coupes) are different than the convertible seats. The two Jetfires here have a lever adjuster up the side of the seat with a “rotary” spring to tension of the adjusting lever while the two converts have the lever coming out the front with what I think is a standard type coil spring with two hook ends under the seat on the frame.

Perhaps other hard tops have the same seats as the jetfire, don’t know.

Does anyone know where I can get a set of springs or give me a dimension of the springs so I can pick up some close ones at the hardware store. Lots available on line but of course not for this application. Maybe some knows what application will fit these seats?

Converts on the olds only have the drivers seat adjustable, passenger is fixed.

Thanks

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

62 Convertible Seat adjuster lever spring Empty Re: 62 Convertible Seat adjuster lever spring

Post by cdnwillyg Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:16 am

Not sure of the sliders but are yours the same as these?
The spring only returns the adjuster catch, bad pic but can see it on the second right slider.
62 Convertible Seat adjuster lever spring 20180822
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

Back to top Go down

62 Convertible Seat adjuster lever spring Empty Re: 62 Convertible Seat adjuster lever spring

Post by 62cutlassconvert Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:55 am

I think I see your adjuster lever coming up the outside of the slider, the door side. If that’s the case it would use a small “rotary” spring wrapped around the pivot shaft. That would be like the Jetfire.

Is that right?

Mine is a long lever that comes out the front toward the pedals. It will take a typical coil spring like an old fashioned garage door spring.

You should have another larger coil spring that goes from the moving portion of the seat frame to a portion of the frame that is fixed to the floor. It tensions the seat so it doesn’t just flop back and forth when you disengage the adjuster lever.

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:38 pm

I do, went and took a pic but I'm thinking this isn't what you have.
62 Convertible Seat adjuster lever spring Seat_s10
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:46 pm

So that’s the tension spring for the sliding action yeah?
-If it is I would imagine mine’s the same.
-Buy it or existing?
-Does it work ok?

That’s a different car I think.
-Same adjuster lever as the refinished frames or one that comes out the front?

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:56 pm

They are new so 'm thinking I put new ones on for replacement of the old ones. They measure 6" long and work okay, just to return adjuster. These are the seats that the previous painted frame pics, with adjusters going out the door side.(passenger here)
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:00 pm

Oh, so no little rotary spring around the shank huh?

Do you have a frame tensioning spring?

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:06 pm

What you see there is all that is under the seat, and to be honest they don't move like new car seats but they get the job done and really once in position they will stay there.
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:10 pm

Sorry, not explaining it very well. Yeah, I got you. There should be two springs, one for the adjuster, one to provide tension on the seat while sliding.

Thanks

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:12 pm

I don't see that on this old girl, in fact I think it only locks the slider on the one door side??Which can't be too safe?
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:57 am

One side locking is typical back then for pretty much everyone I think.

Yeah, I believe you should have a tension spring. It would just hook on the sliding seat and on a fixed portion somewhere. It makes seat adjustment and placement easier. Easy enough to hook one up.

Guess no one else has any springs?

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down