Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drum brake auto-adjusters

2 posters

Go down

Drum brake auto-adjusters Empty Drum brake auto-adjusters

Post by keithg Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:27 pm

My 62 does not have auto adjusters. The manual does not show any, either. I have a rusty old rear axle which has auto adjusters but they are really rusty and probably not salvageable. I was looking at the manual and it showed that the rear drums are 9.5x1.75 and I assumed that the geometry would be similar enough that an auto adjuster kit from a std gm 9.5" drum brake would fit so that I could retrofit an auto adjust to the rear to go with the front discs which self adjust as a matter of normal wear. Well, went online and the 55 chevy guys talked about these kits and I do not know how I messed it up, but these are for 11" drums which appear to be std for years as well. This is what I got:
Raybestos H2508 and H2509 adjuster kits

Well, there is no way these will fit the Skylark, anyway. When I tried to fit it, the screw adjuster was too long and the blade would never hit it. When I reverse cross reference it. Look up the part on Summit Racing pick a fitment (1964 Impala) and then lookup a 64 impala rear drum and it is 11", so it is no wonder why these will not fit on a 9.5" drum assy...

Does anyone know if there is a kit or a model make year that I could grab out of a junkyard to get auto adjusters?

I did some more checking and a 70 skylark has 9.5" rear drums. The adjuster kits are H2532 and H2533. Just ordered them and will see how it goes.

Keith

keithg

Back to top Go down

Drum brake auto-adjusters Empty Re: Drum brake auto-adjusters

Post by 62cutlassconvert Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:16 am

Get a kit for a 63. They have self adjusting.
I did it, simple. I have a post in here about it. Do a search. You need the rebuild kit and the adjuster. If you have a 63 axle with drums you know what it takes and maybe use some parts. Much easier than adapting a different drum brake setup.
Ill see if I can find my post

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:39 am

Here’s my post from the Olds Jetfire Forum. You shoud be on there too. All about the F85/ Cutlass/Jetfire Olds. Basically the same car.

This post os from December 20, 2015, titled:

62 Cutlass self-adjusting brake conversion

Converted the rear drums to self adjusting with a ’63 self adjusting rebuild kit, Carlson and Rayestos are available and evidently cross to another year, which has all the parts to make the brakes self adjusting. Buy a 63 spring kit, file the head of the top spring “perch” pin a little to allow more room for the spring and the thicker self adjuster spring brkt. A 63 backing plate has the same size pin but the head that isn’t as thick, allowing for more “perch” room. Driver side backing plate needs a new slot cut in it back of center for access to the self adjuster sprocket and you have self adjusting brakes. Front self adjuster kit is not available as far as I found out but you may be able to use one for a car with same diameter drums. I put disc brakes on the front so didn’t need it. See pic for pass side rear with all installed

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:42 am

Drum brake auto-adjusters Cabedd10

Here’s a picture, finally found it

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down