Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front of driveshaft dropped while crossing Chesapeake Bay Bridge - YIKES!

2 posters

Go down

Front of driveshaft dropped while crossing Chesapeake Bay Bridge - YIKES! Empty Front of driveshaft dropped while crossing Chesapeake Bay Bridge - YIKES!

Post by Tony62Skylark Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:21 pm

Decided to head this afternoon to a frequent car show about 30 minutes from my home. About a mile from Bay Bridge had heard what sounded like a small stone hit underside of car and a tinkling - looked in rear-view mirror and saw what looked like might have been bolt bouncing on road - then noticed a very minor variable vibration - been a while since driving car (busy working on fiberglassic boat) and wasn't sure if vibration had been there before - a third of the way on bridge, driveshaft drops. Three lanes of traffic with returning Ocean City beach crowd - able to immediately move from center to right lane and coast down from 60 - which allowed traffic in that lane to coast with me RATHER then run me over affraid

I see that moderator (?) has lowered his car too. Anyone had issues with their driveshaft and getting parts? Once shop can get it in the air, we'll see what damage was done - I'm sure it will have to be balanced (will start looking for driveshaft shops). Looking over chassis manual, I note shims at rear shaft yoke and differential - I was not aware of these when I lowered car 2 inches (max so not to change handling dynamics) and pinion angle was not adjusted. I don't think the pinion angle would have accelerated/stressed front shaft flange/joint - if additional stress - assume on mid-bearing and/or rear joint. Thinking back on what looked like a "bolt" - manual shows u-bolt/retaining clip/bolt - retaining clip probably came off/broke and bolt went flying?

Appreciate any info - TONY

Tony62Skylark
Tony62Skylark

Back to top Go down

Front of driveshaft dropped while crossing Chesapeake Bay Bridge - YIKES! Empty Re: Front of driveshaft dropped while crossing Chesapeake Bay Bridge - YIKES!

Post by keithg Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:50 pm

Well, until you get a look at it, we will not know what exactly happened.
The U joints are pretty available afaik but I have not looked recently. The CV joint bits in the middle of the driveshaft are not available any more afaik, though. There have been solutions for this where the CV from other applications is welded in. Also, I think someone also outlined modifying the shaft bits to accept a different 'CV rebuild kit' from another car (Riviera?). From what I remember, the conical spring is the bit that generally fails and is the part that is hardest to source. I rebuilt the one in mine back in the 80s or 90s when that part was still available. I have not yet had to deal with this one, yet.
Let us know what you find.

keithg

Back to top Go down