Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel pump help

2 posters

Go down

Fuel pump help Empty Fuel pump help

Post by gary Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:46 am

Hi all, does anyone have a 63 skylark with factory AC, if so could you tell me where the fuel pump is located? I put an after market in my 63 and had to go with an electric fuel pump. any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Gary in sunny AZ

gary

Back to top Go down

Fuel pump help Empty Re: Fuel pump help

Post by keithg Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:07 pm

Well the mechanical fuel pump is located in the same place for all 61-63 with the aluminum V8 or iron V6. Directly below the distributor on the driver side of the front timing chain cover.
I have a blank cover over where mine used to live and replaced it with an electric Carter pump at the back near the tank. I keep a hidden switch and turn it off when I park it. If it gets stolen they will get about 1/8 a mile before it stalls out for lack of fuel.

Keith

keithg

Back to top Go down

Post by gary Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:22 pm

Yes I know where the mechanical fuel pump goes! I had to move mine when I put an aftermarket ac system in, I was wondering where they put the fuel pump on the original factory air system in a 63 skylark. The mechanical pump can't go where it is on a non ac car (I don't think). Also mine has a switch as well. Gary

gary

Back to top Go down

Post by keithg Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:42 am

According to the manual:
An AC Type HQ fuel pump is used on all engines. The pump assembly is mounted on the
right side of the timing chain cover in an inverted position, and the pump rocker arm is
actuated by an eccentric mounted on front side of the camshaft sprocket.

If there are clearance problems, it may have a different length body or something. There is no mention of any differences in the manual. The pump has only one place to get to the eccentric to drive it and that is where it is located... Maybe very tight, but and standard one 'should' fit.

keithg

Back to top Go down

Post by gary Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:30 pm

Thank you very much, it would have to be a tight squeeze! Gary

gary

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down