Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing Pinchweld molding on 62’ Skylark convertible

3 posters

Go down

Removing Pinchweld molding on 62’ Skylark convertible Empty Removing Pinchweld molding on 62’ Skylark convertible

Post by Hoppy Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:24 am

Has anyone removed Pinchweld molding trim on Skylark convertible? The trim I’m looking to remove without damaging is around the rear side windows and around the convertible top where the boot snaps into. Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Hoppy

Back to top Go down

Removing Pinchweld molding on 62’ Skylark convertible Empty Re: Removing Pinchweld molding on 62’ Skylark convertible

Post by jayem1 Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:32 am

This is not easy and requires a bit of patience. There are 5 screws that are located below the rear window. 3 of the screws are a very broad washer head screw, They usually can be removed with a great deal of care without removing the rear window. The screw in front is slightly hidden by the weather strip. The 5th screw is back just slightly aft of the window and it too is slightly hidden by the weather strip.For the rest of the removal use extreme patience. The first of the strip, about 6 inches back from the front edge was actually welded together at the factory. This weld is extremely brittle and fragile. In many cases it is cracked and you can easily think this is the way it is supposed to be. This is not unique to our cars as I have seen this on many GM convertibles. Now to release the clips holding the pinchweld. I would lay 2 or 3 layers of tape along the edge of the strip to protect the paint. Then carefully run a small putty knife under the strip and slide it to a point where it stops. This is one of about 8 clips holding the strip. Mark the location and continue until you have located the position for all the clips. Now with a stiff putty knife push on the back edge of the clip. The clip should move a little forward. Then lift the back edge of the pinchweld up. This whole operation is tricky and I have seen Professional top installers struggle with this procedure . Do not overlook the top fasteners which may be screwed through the pinchweld strip. It certainly would help if you could locate a clip and get an idea of how it looks. Good luck
John Martin

jayem1

Back to top Go down

Removing Pinchweld molding on 62’ Skylark convertible Empty Re: Removing Pinchweld molding on 62’ Skylark convertible

Post by Hoppy Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:01 am

Thank you. This was a great explanation. I did have success getting the trim removed around the back. I will now focus on removing the Windshield. I’m guessing the same sort of challenge awaits me there with clips. Have any experience with that?

Hoppy

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:21 am

On the windshield the molding is actually imbedded in the rubber seal around the glass. I have taken this trim out of my parts car and the only way I could get it out is by cutting the rubber seal otherwise I would have damaged the trim. My thinking is that the trim is installed in the seal before glass is installed on the car??? Not sure though. Good luck. I do have the trim if you mess it up LOL
cdnwillyg
cdnwillyg

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoppy Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:58 am

Good to know on both accounts. Stay tuned!

Hoppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down