Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

window sash replacement part

2 posters

Go down

window sash replacement part Empty window sash replacement part

Post by jayem1 Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:46 pm

Many of us have witnessed the deterioration of the front window sashes on our cars. The result is poor movement of the window and the cure has been expensive at best. You could purchase a new non plated sash channel at a $100 ea, attempt to salvage the front and rear brackets, locate a regulator channel, weld the parts to the channel and then have the whole thing plated. Expensive solution at best.
Recently I worked with Auto City Classic Inc, Isanti MN  55040 (talk to Rick 763 444 0444) and they agreed to make a replacement sash using some parts from a 60's Nova. Turns out that the window sash, which is the part the window fits in,  can be shortened  to fit, the regulator channel item C in the drawing and the front bracket item B from the Nova can be used as is. I had to supply them with the rear bracket item D.
A very minor downside is that they cut the channel to the proper length and thus you will have a raw edge. This edge is actually slightly below the door frame so there is no cosmetic impact. A little POR 15 and no rust worry. The part they supplied is a good quality chrome plated replacement sash. The parts were welded after plating so again perhaps POR 15 application at the welds is in order.
Now the good news. They charged me $59.00 each plus $20.00 shipping. Remember you must supply the rear bracket.
If you decide to order keep in mind that the hardtop sash is longer than the convertible. Convertible is 27 3/4 in long.
While this part is commonly supplied in Chevy catalogs it has been at least 30 years since I have seen any replacements for our cars. Unfortunately this is a part that if it isn't rusty/crumbling now  it no doubt will be shortly.
Happy to answer questions regarding this part.
Hope that the attachment showing the part outline comes through
John M

__._,_.___

jayem1

Back to top Go down

window sash replacement part Empty Re: window sash replacement part

Post by Bill Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:28 am

I don't see the attachment, but I want to. I am guessing this is the same part that I need to have replaced. If you need help with the attachment let me know- I can post it if needed.
Bill
Bill
Admin

https://skylark616263.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jayem1 Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:31 am

Yes I seem to be having trouble inserting the attachment. What is the procedure?
John M

jayem1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:31 pm

It would probably be best if you copied/pasted it. Or screen capture it. If you want, you can send it to my email W_A_schafer @ yahoo.com and I can post it for you. This is a free forum board, so some of the features are limited. Attachments aren't easy, but it is what you get for free.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:26 pm

window sash replacement part Window11
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:34 pm

So they would fix the bottom rail (where you see the rust in this picture) with this process? From what I understood you have to send the bracket labeled "D" in the diagram you sent?

window sash replacement part Window13
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jayem1 Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:02 pm

This is an excellent picture showing why this part must be replaced. You are correct. The bracket you would send is the one on the right side of your picture. As you can see from this picture the channel that the regulator runs in no doubt broke free from the sash. Keep track of your dimensions on how the glass fits in the sash. About 13 3/8 in from the top of the sash to the top of the window frame at the rear edge for the convertible. By the way the right side of the channel or rear end per your picture is where they will cut to trim to the proper length. If you want to clean up the bracket now would be the time as they use your bracket as is. It is not re chromed.
John M

jayem1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:25 pm

Well this helps out a ton! I was wondering how I was going to deal with this. I will remove the passenger side window (the one you see in the pic is the derivers side) and get them both done at the same time in the not too distant future. Thanks again!
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down