Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radiator re-core

3 posters

Go down

Radiator re-core Empty Radiator re-core

Post by YoungGun12 Thu May 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Has anyone had their radiator re-cored or just switched to an aluminum one?
YoungGun12
YoungGun12

Back to top Go down

Radiator re-core Empty Re: Radiator re-core

Post by keithg Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:24 am

David,

I just went through this. If you re-core it, make sure to get at least a 3 row blank. It will cost 350+ to get that done if you can find a place near you that still does this kind of work. It will be a special order core. In the end you will still have the 'Harrison' tanks on the top and bottom.
There are radiators which are available to purchase.
http://www.usradiator.com/buick-skylark-1962-63-v8-radiator.html

I was able to purchase a cross flow radiator that a guy on this list had custom made and just recently installed it. It is a cross flow custom similar to what was in the Cutlass turbo car. You do need to get an upper radiator hose for that car as well to make it work. To get it to fit, I had to cut the edges of the sheet metal behind the headlights (~ 3/8 in each side to make the opening a bit wider). If you ask here, he can probably let you know where he ordered it and you can order another one. This is a brass 4 row and cools very well. There is a thread on aluminum radiators. These always seemed to me to be a lot more work than what I wanted/needed. If more info is needed, I can provide it.

keithg

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:31 am

Hi Keith, the radiator was made by USRadiator. They make replacement downflows but not the cross flow. I worked directly with the owner. My dimensions came from a Jetfires rad. It is already not as wide as the Jetfires so I guess Buick’s have less room at that location. Don’t know if he will even remember me or the rad, it was quite awhile ago now. He put it together out of a early 60s corvette core/tanks and core/ tanks from a different application.It is a 4 tube high efficiency core with a 5 plate trans cooler as I remember with extra heavy header supports to provide for top/bottom mounts. The Jetfires has brackets on the side tanks that mount to the front side frame, this rad did not. I may have the dimensions buried somewhere but measurements from you to him would likely be best way to go, and be ready to be a little flexible as he needs to work with available parts, if he will. Not cheap!

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down