Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want to Convert my front wheels to 5 lug

3 posters

Go down

I want to Convert my front wheels to 5 lug Empty I want to Convert my front wheels to 5 lug

Post by reebz Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:28 pm

I want to go with 5 lug wheels and disk brakes anyone have info or parts suppliers? For 62 Skylark

reebz

Back to top Go down

I want to Convert my front wheels to 5 lug Empty Re: I want to Convert my front wheels to 5 lug

Post by gearznbeerz49 Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:42 pm

I haven't made the conversion just yet, but I have done some research and gathered some parts. Late Corvairs and early Chevelles share wheel bearings with our Buicks, so front hubs from either of these will have a 5-lug by 4 3/4" bolt pattern and will fit the Buick spindle. Clark's Corvair can supply used Corvair hubs, or you can get brand new Chevelle hubs from CPP. Scarebird makes disc brake brackets that will mount Chevy S10 calipers, and S10 rotors will work with the Chevy front hubs. Many S10 parts can be utilized in converting to disc brakes and five lug wheels. An S10 master cylinder has the plumbing on the correct side, and obviously is engineered to work with S10 calipers. I'm running a 700r4 overdrive trans, so I wanted a lower gear than the stock rear end. I found an S10 rear end with 3.73 gears locally on Craigslist for only $50. Not only does it have the ratio I was looking for, it has the five lug pattern that matches the front brakes, and Scarebird also makes brackets to convert to S10 discs. An added plus is that it is actually narrower than the Buick axle, so it will not have to be shortened and provides a bit of room for wider rims on the rear. I will have to weld some brackets to accommodate the Buick suspension, but for a minimal expense I should have an improved gear, four wheel discs and a huge array of wheels to choose from with the standard Chevy five lug pattern. Sure hope this info helps.
gearznbeerz49
gearznbeerz49

Back to top Go down

I want to Convert my front wheels to 5 lug Empty Re: I want to Convert my front wheels to 5 lug

Post by reebz Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:54 pm

Thank you very much. You did all the hard work. What motor are you running?

reebz

Back to top Go down

Post by gearznbeerz49 Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:11 pm

I've swapped in a 3.9 liter Land Rover, a descendant of the 215. I wish I could tell you that the modifications I've made all work flawlessly, but the car is still very much under (very slow) construction.
gearznbeerz49
gearznbeerz49

Back to top Go down

Post by reebz Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:55 pm

I'm at the beginning of my journey. A marathon is in my future.

reebz

Back to top Go down

Post by custom880 Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:40 pm

gearznbeerz has a great suggestion but if you don't have the time or energy (old guy like me) Ben at BCCP makes a complete kit that bolts right in you can see picks on my build thread. Also check out the topic here on the board about the scarebird brakes lots of great info there. Its a sticky in the "On topic" area.
custom880
custom880

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum