Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

manual vs. power steering

+2
regal81455
custom880
6 posters

Go down

manual vs. power steering Empty manual vs. power steering

Post by custom880 Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Need some input here. The donor car has manual while the wagon has power steering. Since the ac in the wagon is toast and was going to put a vintage air system in it. I thought about swapping the steering between the cars. I remember having and driving cars without power only that was a few years ago. It was a bit of a chore to turn sitting still till you got it rolling. So tell me guys how do your cars handle with just manual steering, if it has it.
custom880
custom880

Back to top Go down

manual vs. power steering Empty Re: manual vs. power steering

Post by regal81455 Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:52 am

I can't attest to the manuals but mine has PS and I don't think Id be happy fighting turning at low speeds. If you have the parts Id suggest you swap them in.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:55 am

I have a 62 Cutlass with manual steering and 205 65 15 tires. The manual steering has a high ratio of either 22:1 (or 24:1 in early cars) and with these light cars the effort is not bad at all at a stop. (Much better than my '64 El Camino was with a manual box with 6 1/2 turns lock to lock, went to quick ratio power from AGR on the ElC.) The Cutlass has 22:1 and it is 5 1/2 turns lock to lock so there's a lot of elbow swinging going on when in a tight spot. With power you can just palm it around and the ratio is lower at about 18:1 I think so less turns lock to lock.
However, I love the manual steering on the road, much better feel than power steering. I was considering have the ratio changed in the manual box to a quicker ratio which will increase effort and decrease turns lock to lock. Talked to an old school local steering specialty shop and an early 60's Corvette gear set will fit the box with a 16:1 ratio but with a shorter input shaft. I believe the whole steering column can be moved down slightly by loosing the clamp at the floor and under the dash so I think it's doable but have other things to do on the car other than modifying already good steering.

Also, the valving of a power box is often subject to change by the re-builder. AGR does that with a lot of boxes and it raises the effort from the vague one finger power steering the 50s and 60s are infamous for to a nice modern responsive feel. Maybe they or a local shop can do the same with this power box, don't know for sure. If so that would be very nice. Also, increasing your caster to the positive side will increase effort a little and give you more stability and better handling on the road. Again doing away with that 60's boaty feel.

The bigger your tires the more effort will be required at stop to turn the wheel, so if you're running orig size tires the effort would be low IMO, with the 205s it's not bad at all, if you are going to 225s like I have seen some do it would be harder.

Finally, if it were me and the existing steering doesn't have any problems I'd stick with that.

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:59 pm

That's alot of good info 62cutlassconvert!! Duly noted and appreciate the insight!!
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by keithg Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:50 pm

late response, but manual steering is fine for me. The car only weighs 2700lb. It is not a breeze parallel parking, but it isn't too bad, IMO. I just rebuilt my steering gear last year, so it is now tight and very responsive.

keithg

Back to top Go down

Post by Six Deuce Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Good evening
Keith i just read that you rebuilt your p/s box.... how was it???
Did you order a full master kit from rockauto ??
How long was it??
Mine started leaking from pitman arms seal..... and ordered a kit.
Dont know if i ll give it a try myself cause thre are lots and lots of seals......
Six Deuce
Six Deuce

Back to top Go down

Post by keithg Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:39 am

Mine has manual steering. I do not know anything about Power Steering but am now an expert on manual steering at least until I forget everything I learned....

keithg

Back to top Go down

Post by reebz Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:08 pm

My 62 has power steering. I may be interested in a manual box

reebz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down