Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Turn signal stalk

2 posters

Go down

Turn signal stalk Empty Turn signal stalk

Post by keithg Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:30 am

Anyone here have issues or problems with their turn signal stalk? I broke the one in my car when I was a teenager. I repaired it back then with a piece of 1/4" rod. I was able to remove the end from the original stalk and transplant it. Never quite right and always wanted to unthread itself. I recently made a new one out of a piece of 1/4" 316 stainless. The old knob is split and deteriorated so I 3D modeled the knob and will get one 3D printed in black to match the interior.

The 63 steering column I got a few years ago had the stalk removed and the threads in the turn signal mechanism were stripped. I use these 2 observations to guess that I may not be alone with issues with the turn signal stalk. I do have a fix, though, if yours backs out like mine did. What I did was get a 1/4-20 jam nut and turn the OD down to 5/16" (removed the hex completely) and thread it on the stalk to provide a face to tighten down on and to react out the force when you move it. This way the stalk can be tightened down to a face instead of being tightened down until the threads stop. You will need to get a 1/4-20 die and turn a bit more thread on the shaft to accommodate the width of the nut. The 5/16 diameter clears the hole in the steering column cover and does not impede the throw of the stalk. If the stalk is always loose, it will wear away the threads and eventually you will have to put a helicoil in it to have threads again. There is adequate material in the pot metal part to do this as I was able to helicoil the one out of the 63 steering column as a test.

Keith in Chicago

keithg

Back to top Go down

Turn signal stalk Empty Re: Turn signal stalk

Post by keithg Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:21 pm

Can anyone measure what the stock length is from the column to the end of the knob?

keithg

Back to top Go down

Post by custom880 Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:41 pm

If your not in a hurry I have a spare column just have to wait and see what parts I'll need.
custom880
custom880

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum