Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle )

3 posters

Go down

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) Empty 63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle )

Post by M@ Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:37 am

Hi,  I picked up this 63' a few weeks back.  It had an engine fire around 16 years ago.  The body was in good shape and the interior was in very good shape.  So I took a gamble on something that had sat in a storage unit for some time.  The motor rotated when I grabbed it, but we'll see later not very far.

The day I picked it up:
63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_14271_zpsb7uw5ixi

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_14281_zpsvcv8dd2a

I didn't get any pictures of the initial engine bay, but I sanded and painted the worst of the fire area and started rewiring to get the engine to turn over then I'll rebuild the carbs and start this deal.
63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1439_zpsakq2sl2b

Well about this time I dropped some Marvel oil down the plugs and tried to rotate the engine by the crank pully bolt... very little movement.  All of the pistons are free, the distributor rotates, but I can't get more than 20-30 degrees of crank movement... pretty sad.  I did notice one of the spark plugs had some corrosion happening on it's electrode... bummer.

So I decided I would be patient with the motor, but I'm expecting to pull it now (actually sounds like fun).  So I moved on to restoring power to the main harness and also to the convertible top relay.  I figured it would be pretty easy and would provide that instant gratification... pale   The top motor wouldn't turn..  fine I'll take it apart and see what the deal is.

Here's the motor:
63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1440_zpslqtkhdht

Here's the inside of the motor with the two bolts removed  Shocked :
63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1441_zpswwapjosx

I was still optimistic that I could fix it.  So if you're interested just drill out these solders:
63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1442_zpsvgl008ka

And you have pull out this rotor.  It has a ball that's spring loaded into the case.  It took a few well placed blows to a vice grip attached to the rotor.
63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1443_zpsdivisot8

At that point I was able to start trying to remove the field coils in the pump part of the motor.  That junk was so caked in that I had to use heat to swell the case enough to get movement, but that caused the plates of the field coil to separate... I decided to cut bait... I've ordered a new pump and hose kit for the top and I'll be purging the hydraulic cylinders and converting to ATF.  I could have messed with rewinding the field coil, but I still would have needed new brushes and the wiring was pretty crusty etc.  If someone needs a motor or pump case let me know.  I'll be hording these for a while.

Any ideas why the motor will only rotate 30*?  Could it be the fuel pump?  I'm on the lookout for a motor stand and a used 215 or rover v8 while I'm working on the top.

I planned to redo the brake system, so having the motor out of the way will be nice.  I'll probably converting the front to disk.  Seems cheap and easy.  I need all new parts including a master cylinder.  Basically anything that could have melted under the hood did.  Including the lead in the battery!  

I'll leave you with this:
63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) DSC00961  I figured I should show at least one pretty picture.

Cheers,
Matt
M@
M@

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) Empty Re: 63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle )

Post by M@ Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:14 pm

Got the top dropped yesterday.  It was nice to stand up in the car to do work.

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1444_zpsk7ykrxgg

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1445_zpso3tgahp9

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1446_zpsqajsce3j

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1447_zpsus3aotmo

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1448_zpsyomfo5cr

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1449_zpsazfgfsts

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1451_zpsoqekk7oe

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1453_zpsunv4l2ii

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1454_zpsh46e8kp5

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1455_zpsqfdhukv2

And another pretty picture to complete the theme... not sure how long I can keep this up though:
63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) Image_zpslpxcswmm

Have a nice weekend,
Matt
M@
M@

Back to top Go down

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) Empty Re: 63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle )

Post by M@ Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:16 pm

Ohh I missed the turtle coming out of his shell opportunity... ;P
M@
M@

Back to top Go down

Post by M@ Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:33 pm

So I decided to keep working on the mechanical part of the top.  Ordered a new pump and lines.  I removed the old cylinders to get all the brake fluid out and to clean them up to help w/ leak spotting.

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1457_zpsdjshy3ml

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1458_zpsjl73vpyd

Next up was the pump.  The one I ordered was supposed to fit a 63 skylark, but it didn't fit mine.  It could be some wierdness with the mounting brackets, but I was able to swap the reservoir part and it all worked out.  Below you can see the differences in the length of the reservoir.

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1491_zpsqacngs0e

Last night I bled the system.  I needed to replace the rubber bushings on the lower pivot of one of the cylinders and found these (below) from O'Reilly's.  I'll be able to confirm they work in a few days.

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1495_zpsayedppkb

First I need to paint these access panels to stop the rust.  Not that it's noticeable, but the longer I spend on this type of free crap the more I can spend on the coming motor build...

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1490_zps0fhrf41f

Here it is, your moment of Zen:
63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_09691_zpszvjs9tfj

Matt
M@
M@

Back to top Go down

Post by M@ Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:49 pm

I made this access panel pretty again
63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1498_zpsagxcv84y

Installed with the cleaned up cylinders and new hose, pump, and ATF.
63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1499_zpsbkoow08u

The grommets I got from O'Reilly worked pretty well.

Top drops and all is right in the universe.
63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) IMG_1500_zps2ptzllf1

Next plan is to un-anchor this skylark/215.  I'm battling the "while I'm here" ideas.  So it's good that it's a lot colder than usual here.  I need time to decide what to do, and it will depend on what the guts of the lump look like spilled out all of the table in all it's gory glory.  I secretly wanted a manual all along, but it would be cool if the wife can still drive it...  ohh well I'll have plenty of time to decide while I'm redoing the fuel and brake lines, and the motor, or prepping for a swap (probably not).  [/Stream of consciousness]
M@
M@

Back to top Go down

63 Skylark Vert (a.k.a Turd Ferguson a.k.a. protracted turtle ) Empty engine swap

Post by gary Sat May 08, 2021 12:23 pm

Hi Gary from sunny Az. Did you do an engine swap in your 63? I have a 63 an was thinking of doing something, not sure what. Interested in what you may have done? Thanks in advance. Very Happy

gary

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down