Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

retro sound radio replacement (62 buick special)

+2
Bill
Jim O
6 posters

Go down

retro sound radio replacement (62 buick special) Empty retro sound radio replacement (62 buick special)

Post by Jim O Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:01 am

I purchased a new retro sound stereo radio. It was supposed to fit right into the existing spot. The faceplace did not fit and after bugging them they said they don't have one to fit. The website clearly advertises that they had an exact fit replacment radio. 300.00 later. I am arguing with them to take the radio back. It was never used.

Anyone ever make their own faceplates that allow you to put in an aftermarket radio?

Jim O
joelstrom@wi.rr.com

Jim O

Back to top Go down

retro sound radio replacement (62 buick special) Empty Re: retro sound radio replacement (62 buick special)

Post by Bill Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:28 pm

I left my original radio in so that the dash looks stock. I put in a bluetooth receiver and ran it back to a new four channel amp in the trunk. I put in two new speakers and a 6x9 woofer in the back for bass. It works great, I have handsfree, and I use my cell phone as a "head unit". Since I use my cell as a gps, it works really great. I have been meaning to bring it up on here in case anyone is interested. It was under $300 for everything and I have really great sound.

If anyone wants I can go into more detail and show mounting locations that I used, etc.
Bill
Bill
Admin

https://skylark616263.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

retro sound radio replacement (62 buick special) Empty Retro sound faceplate

Post by dowxxpa Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:35 am

I had the same issue with the Retro sound radio. The faceplate that came with it didn't completely cover the hole. I called them, the had me send a pic of the installation, & they sent me a new faceplate. BUT when I put that in it still didn't work exactly right. The face plate would not conform to the curve of the dash because the center rectangular hole was too small. I had to enlarge the faceplate center hole so it would align. I ground material only from the bottom of the faceplate center hole to enlarge it as the bottom of the hole is not really visible when installed. This worked, and most people think the radio is original.
Pete Ohio

dowxxpa

Back to top Go down

retro sound radio replacement (62 buick special) Empty Re: retro sound radio replacement (62 buick special)

Post by regal81455 Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:38 pm

I got mine from customautosound.com and it fit great -- if they take it back it's worth looking into -- Ill try to get a pic and posted it for you tonight if I remember.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:36 pm

Pic of my install with the CAS

retro sound radio replacement (62 buick special) Cam01413
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YoungGun12 Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:46 am

That looks great. I was able to find an old FM converter so i'm still using the stock stereo, but with new wires and speakers in the back.
YoungGun12
YoungGun12

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:19 am

Tx Bud! What size speakers are you running in the back? I opted to just install two sets of 6.5's in the doors. One set is components w/ tweeters mounted in the corners of the dash and the other set is full range. Does a nice job filling the car with sound.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YoungGun12 Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:32 am

This is what i'm running in the back

retro sound radio replacement (62 buick special) 36695_433705715008_3860719_n_zps98sogtki
YoungGun12
YoungGun12

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by regal81455 Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:12 pm

Looks clean! I like the look of the pleats too - that's pretty snazzy! Smile I just couldn't bring myself to cut the car more than I already had when I put the speakers in the doors but I do wish I had a little more sound staged in the rear -- bet the glass aids in amplification as well. Cutting on it is the only thing from stopping me from doing a few things to it ( IE AIR RIDE! ).
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

retro sound radio replacement (62 buick special) Empty retro sound radio face plate

Post by Jim O Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:35 pm

Sorry for not answering.
I did argue with Retro about the faceplate not fitting. Finally got them to admit they didn't have anything that fit snugly enough. I ended up calling credit card and stopping payment. It was the 29th day so I made it under their 30 day return policy. After doing that, they sent me RMA # and told me every nut and screw had better be sent back. Luckly I did save everything and I got a credit less 15% restocking plus I payed for shipping.
They clearly said they had a radio that would fit the exact application. I think they are misleading. The faceplate they had might fit some one but not my 62 special.

thanks

Jim O

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum