Front disc brake conversion (Scarebird)

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Front disc brake conversion (Scarebird)

Post by 62cutlassconvert on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:40 pm

What is that, a GM pattern? Check Wheel Vintiques for steel wheels, maybe they have something that will fit your caps. Very poor and getting worse tire selection in 14" rims, good selection in 15" rims. Probably some late 60's 14" wheels made for disc brake app but again tire selection is going away.

62cutlassconvert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by custom880 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:30 pm

Thought I'd chime in here. I called Ben at http://bccpbrakes.blogspot.com/ and he has a set up for brakes a complete kit for around 600.00$. It comes with a chevy bolt pattern 5x 4 3/4 I think. He also has axles for the rear with the same bolt pattern. I'm tending to lean with his stuff and give it a try. For the rear brake I'm going drum and he said you can use old drums and have them re-drilled  or there is a replacement that will fit with the proper bolt pattern. Keep you guys informed.
custom880

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:46 pm

Did the 4 lug disc brake conversion with BCCP. Had a few issues but Ben was very good at working with me to straighten things out. I believe the 5 lug conversion would be a better program, BUT the MC he sells will require ALOT of cutting, see the trials and tribulations in previous posts for options. If I did it again I toss the cheap cast Iron S10 calipers everyone supplies and go the AFCO calipers in steel (nice) for about $50ea or Alum (very nice) for $110ea from Summit, you can go higher if you want. Nicer casting and thinner, I ran into rubbing problems on my wheels and had to clearance the calipers and use 1/4" spacers for the rotor face to move the wheels out.

62cutlassconvert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Also, I believe Moser has the specs for our axles and can make up 5 lug to your spec if you want. Don't know who Ben uses or what the cost is but Moser are good quality axles for a good sanity check.

62cutlassconvert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ctiwater on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:48 pm

I may have to consider the BCCP conversion myself. Ordered the brackets from scarebird on 8/25, about 2 weeks ago emailed them asking if it had shipped and was told they were delayed due to their move from Spokane. Then late last week they sent a mass email saying their supplier is having issues with their laser with no ETA for when they'll be back up. But at this point I've milled the hubs, have the discs on the car just need the brackets (planned on staying 4 lug). So pretty much stuck at this point unless someone knows where or who sales a similar bracket for the 4 lug setup.

ctiwater

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:58 pm

I think those are your choices at this point. BCCP can supply brackets alone I would think. Unless he has modified them since I was getting them, be aware the calipers are pulled in toward the center to make full pad contact with the rotors with the BCCP brackets. Good for braking but as I say above had to clearance and space for wheel clearance. I think the Scarebird brackets leave the pads hanging off the edge of the rotor, might not require additional spacing, don't know. I think that may be addressed in an earlier post.Gonna have to pull the rotor to put on the bracket one way or the other, so no big deal. As long as you're parting it you might talk to Afco on the calipers, maybe less spacing requirements and better hook up for the flex lines too. Plus, they look and probably work better.

62cutlassconvert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WillCut on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 pm

62cutlassconvert wrote:What is that, a GM pattern? Check Wheel Vintiques for steel wheels, maybe they have something that will fit your caps. Very poor and getting worse tire selection in 14" rims, good selection in 15" rims. Probably some late 60's 14" wheels made for disc brake app but again tire selection is going away.

Unfortunately its not that easy... I called Wheel Vintiques a while back ago along with corker. The wheel patter is the pattern coming from the corvair hub I am going to use to convert my 63 to a 5 bolt pattern. Thought it would be easier to find rims.

Anyhow I cant find a place that sells 15" 5x4.75 with the 9 1/4 caps we have. they usually sell the 10 1/2. I want to retain the stock look.

WillCut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:00 pm

Was talking to Wilwood Tech on calipers and pedal problems and they drew my attention to what they call the "Remote Tandem Master Cylinder, PN 260-14242-P at 1" bore. Takes either direct mount plastic or billet reservoirs or remotely mounted reservoirs, right or left outputs, can get in a kit with the prop valve, and it's quite small/slender. Only 6.5" long in 15/16", 1", 1.125 inch bore. NO CUTTING of our cars should be required! Not cheap at $260 for MC only including plastic reservoirs on Summit in a black or ball burnished alum finish.

62cutlassconvert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:03 pm

I actually looked at that as well -- I'm happy with my install but I'd certainly be interested in seeing someone take this approach and report back as well. Might be a pretty good option!

regal81455
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:21 am

Like that Wilwood you installed regal and I'll bet it works nice. Both Wilwood and Afco say the Fairmont 7/8" bore MC I am using is too small and will result in the long pedal, which is what we have discovered, although it results in good braking once you get there.

Bill, How did that 1" AMC MC finally work out. Certainly the low cost 1" bore option.

Does a 1" bore MC result in a pedal that has some pedal movement at the top or is it right at the top when the brakes come on?

Tim_D, how did you finally work out the rod retainment in the alum S10 MC? Did it work out. Actually have one of those from my original search for an MC.

Looked back at the threads but lots of info there and didn't see final dispositions on those 2 items.

62cutlassconvert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top