front brake drum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

front brake drum

Post by 63lark on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:24 am

Hi,

Anyone know where I can find a front brake drum for my 63 Skylark? Twisted off a lug/stud & can't seem to get the drum off. I've tried penetrating oil & a mini-sledge, also small amount of heat but nothing so far. Have heard others have had to break the drum completely apart to get them off. Already managed to break the back lip off so not sure if it is really any good now.

Thanks,
Doug

63lark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: front brake drum

Post by woody1640 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:27 am

Doug: Brake drums can be a real "bitch" to remove. We have found that 3 tools are imminent for this type of job. 1 a good 3-5lb hammer, 2 a good pry bar, 3 a gas torch, you'll need some good heat by the sounds of it. FYI the front wheel studs on our cars were "swaggered" in and therefore will need to be removed "properly" in order for the new stud to fit correctly. GM issued a service bulletin that explains all of this. I do have a pair of low miled (59,000) front brake drums, but at the moment they are packed away and I won't have access to them for probably a month or so yet. All of our stuff is packed away in our 24 square garage and were building a new shop.

Keith

woody1640

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63lark on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:36 am

Thanks Keith. I will keep you posted on if I need them. Do you happen to know what other years or GM cars will fit?

63lark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63lark on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:19 am

Managed to get the hub off - silly me, forgot this is set up like a trailer hub - take off the center cap and low and behold, it all came off easily! Studs were not bad - local parts store didn't have the LH thread ones so switched over to RH thread. Want to keep the car as original as I can so will have to hunt some of those up one day.

63lark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top