Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New wheel sizes

+7
keithg
StageCat
Tim_D
regal81455
woody1640
rt338b
Bill
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

New wheel sizes - Page 3 Empty Re: New wheel sizes

Post by BassAv8r Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:00 am

New wheel sizes - Page 3 14634411
I was able to get these to work with a little bit of creative thinking, I think they look great. I can't go full lock to lock up front but pretty darn close.

BassAv8r

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 am

Those look nice!! Clearly you did the 4 to 5 lug conversion. What rim diameter, width and offset are they? This would be good info for others...
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BassAv8r Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:23 am

regal81455 wrote:Those look nice!! Clearly you did the 4 to 5 lug conversion.  What rim diameter, width and offset are they?  This would be good info for others...

No they are 4 lug, Vision 539 15x6. The offset was off so I went with solid billet conical spacers and high strength longer wheel studs. Had to drill the spindles/axles a bit to get the thicker wheel studs to press in. All in all I am very happy with how they turned out, I've put about 1000 miles on them with no issues. I am now prepping to do the scarebird conversion (already bought the parts). I want to do some suspension work at the same time, I considered air ride but the front looks like a lot of cutting, so I'm looking at the OPGI lowering springs. Next on the list will be a rover EFI. The car has 89k original, has has some body work and been repainted once. I just like driving it, so probably won't do too much body repair.

BassAv8r

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:42 am

Oh wow -- my eye deceived me I see that now -- my mistake lol!! Very kewl you found some different wheels -- are they designed for front wheel drive or rear wheel drive cars? My guess is front wheel which is why the offset was off and you had to add spacers.

Air ride would be a big job and I too decided against it -- something about hacking up an otherwise original car that made me decide against it - I have no experience with the drop springs.  I did replace the REARS recently and with a ton of research was able to buy a off the shelf moog spring -- the pair ran me I think $100.  Just something to think about...

I'd suggest you look into the EFI very carefully -- while Im sure it will work ( and others will guarantee it ) from what I've read there really isn't a big gain in performance or fuel savings so unless you just want to stand out ( which is kewl too ) or enjoy tinkering ( also kewl ) your efforts may be better off focused else where.  I debated it as well but after doing my own research decided it just wasn't worth the effort.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BassAv8r Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:59 am

regal81455 wrote:Oh wow -- my eye deceived me I see that now -- my mistake lol!!  Very kewl you found some different wheels -- are they designed for front wheel drive or rear wheel drive cars?  My guess is front wheel which is why the offset was off and you had to add spacers.

Air ride would be a big job and I too decided against it -- something about hacking up an otherwise original car that made me decide against it - I have no experience with the drop springs.  I did replace the REARS recently and with a ton of research was able to buy a off the shelf moog spring -- the pair ran me I think $100.  Just something to think about...

I'd suggest you look into the EFI very carefully -- while Im sure it will work ( and others will guarantee it ) from what I've read there really isn't a big gain in performance or fuel savings so unless you just want to stand out ( which is kewl too ) or enjoy tinkering ( also kewl ) your efforts may be better off focused else where.  I debated it as well but after doing my own research decided it just wasn't worth the effort.

You are correct on the offset, I was just happy to find something that looked like it fit on the car as opposed to most 'tuner styles' that have this bolt pattern.

I was looking at the EFI just for reliability sake, this car has a hard time starting after it sits overnight, I believe it to be a fuel pressure/pump issue. If I spray starting fluid it pops right off and if I crank it for a bit it fires right up. Seems like it just needs time to get the fuel up to the carb. I could be completely off base though.

BassAv8r

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:28 pm

BassAv8r wrote:I was looking at the EFI just for reliability sake, this car has a hard time starting after it sits overnight, I believe it to be a fuel pressure/pump issue. If I spray starting fluid it pops right off and if I crank it for a bit it fires right up. Seems like it just needs time to get the fuel up to the carb. I could be completely off base though.

Mine has this problem if sits for any length of time but not really over night.  Maybe you're sucking some air somewhere?  I don't want to dissuade you from going the EFI route just that I think there are some hidden problems that haven't been discovered yet as I don't know anyone whom actually has made the conversion in a driveable car.  I could be completely off base but hate to be the guinea pig and wish I hadn't when what I had something that already pretty much performed the same way.

Just a thought but have you considered a cheap in-line electric fuel pump that could be turned on to prime the system and then shut back off??  I know they can be had from your local parts store for like $50 and wouldn't take but an hr to have it in place and operational -- food for thought.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 626466Buicks Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:13 am

Here's another wheel option. Legendary Wheel make an early Mustang wheel called Magnum 400. It's an aluminum 15 x 6 with a perfect 4" backspace and 4 x 4.5" pattern. 2 colors, black or charcoal. Looks like Rostlye wheel and resembles Buick Road wheel. You can get lug nuts on eBay. Take out the Pony from the center cap and put in a Buick center. Tires are 215/60-15 and fit with no rubbing at all.

New wheel sizes - Page 3 <a href=New wheel sizes - Page 3 DSC02779%201280x960_zpsm6hvgaek" />

New wheel sizes - Page 3 <a href=New wheel sizes - Page 3 DSC02780%201280x960_zpsxptbhk2v" />

626466Buicks

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by 62cutlassconvert Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Really like those. Similar to the period muscle car wheels of the day, Leg Wheel site says 16lbs, and at about $150 not a bad price at all for an alloy wheel. And you find the 4" back space isn't a problem with rubbing? I think stock is 3.5" with the skinny tires.

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by 626466Buicks Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:33 pm

Tires are centered in the wheel well with no rubbing issues at all. The 4" backspace is perfect for the 6" width.

626466Buicks

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Great info. Thanks

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by keithg Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:14 pm

In case anyone is interested, the Z store has the Konig Rewinds on special order for a good price. Can't use the lug nuts, but still a good deal. I'm getting the 15s. These are 0 offset 4 on 4.5"

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic05a01/25-1067

keithg

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:14 am

keithg wrote:In case anyone is interested, the Z store has the Konig Rewinds on special order for a good price. Can't use the lug nuts, but still a good deal. I'm getting the 15s. These are 0 offset 4 on 4.5"

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic05a01/25-1067

That's a pretty good deal. Be sure to post some pics when you get them mounted! Very Happy
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by keithg Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:06 am

Please, someone create a sticky asking what tire sizes and wheel configurations are on the cars. It would make it easier for all to see and figure out what to do. I went to create a new topic and could not figure out how to create a sticky. It may be an admin function only. Let's keep it simple. Year/body style, wheel diameter, width, offset tire size...

I have 215 75/14's on my appliance mags and am considering either 205 60/15s or 215 65/15s for the new konig rewinds which are coming. My current appliance mags have, I think, 1/2" negative offset but need to consult my notes.

keithg

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:16 am

Keith - I'll start a new one that is a sticky - we discussed it prior to me being the admin and it never did materialize.

You will want a tire that is as close to 23.90" in overall diameter and 8.4" tread width or less ( front and rear ) if you want to retain close to stock speedo settings. The width is as wide as I think you can fit without having any major interference -- you might have a lil rubbing at full lock depending on condition of suspension.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by keithg Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:10 am

The speedometer issue is easily remedied with a new plastic gear. The OEM 15" tires had to be taller than the 13s, weren't they?

keithg

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim_D Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:15 am

keithg wrote:Please, someone create a sticky asking what tire sizes and wheel configurations are on the cars. It would make it easier for all to see and figure out what to do. I went to create a new topic and could not figure out how to create a sticky. It may be an admin function only. Let's keep it simple. Year/body style, wheel diameter, width, offset tire size...

I have 215 75/14's on my appliance mags and am considering either 205 60/15s or 215 65/15s for the new konig rewinds which are coming. My current appliance mags have, I think, 1/2" negative offset but need to consult my notes.

Keith, I have the 15x7 Rewinds on mine. I originally purchased 215/60/15s for the rear and 205/60/15s for the front. I had to return the 215s and go with the 205s in the rear as well. I still have some issues with the front at times (full lock turn over a driveway curb initiates a minor rub on the front tire).

Ideally a 7" wide wheel would provide a little more backspacing (1/2" to 5/8" would be ideal). If the wheel were perfectly centered, you could probably get away with a 225. An off-the-shelf solution might be something like a Weld Rodlite, which offers 4 1/2" backspacing on a 15x7.

Tim_D
Tim_D

https://s634.photobucket.com/user/Tim_D_63wagon/library/

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:28 am

keithg wrote:The OEM 15" tires had to be taller than the 13s, weren't they?

No idea but I wanted to make sure that when I did the swap I went with a tire that was as close as possible to the OEM 13" tire I took off and then maximized the width I felt I could safely fit based on some reasonable deduction.

BTW new "STICKY" thread has been created.

Also, if you happen to find a new speedo gear for the trans please lmk -- my speedo says 75 when I'm doing 60 -- it would be nice to correct this.  Previous owner told me it was due to a lazy spring in 50yr old dash... seems most owners Ive spoken to have similar issues with the speedo being off, not because of tire size but age of equipment.  I haven't spent anytime looking into the new gear yet though so maybe it's an EZ fix -- thought finding alternate gears for our goofy little trans could be fun.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3