Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New here, my '62 and me

3 posters

Go down

New here, my '62 and me Empty New here, my '62 and me

Post by dowxxpa Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:15 am

Hi folks. I am Pete from SW Ohio, just signed up with this site yesterday. I am in the final stages of restoring a 4367 '62 Skylark convertible. I owned one of these cars back in the day, it was my first. Will post some pics soon, once the glacier recedes a little more & I can get the car outside. This has been a 3+ year project. I have owned the car since 2006 but it did not run & I have never driven it. I am keeping the car essentially stock, except for a split master cylinder and a few other things. The car was at a restorer for the past 3 years, he did all the necessary body work, I did all the mechanicals (except engine rebuild), the interior, and chrome. Even doing the bulk of the work myself I am still waaaay over-invested in the car. But, I didn't do this to sell it, rather to enjoy. This car will be driven. This is my very first restoration project. I learned a tremendous amount in the process, including how easy it is to completely underestimate what it takes in time and money to get it done. Kinda makes you laugh when you see these guys on TV doing two-week "restorations" and flipping cars. Anyway, it's almost done now & virtually a new car. I still have a transmission leak to fix, adjustments to the convertible top to make, and interior installation to do. I think my biggest headache has been getting the windows to work and fit right. I'm still not completely happy with them, but I blame most of the problem on the convertible roof rail rubber from Rubber the Right Way. It's oversize and too stiff. I wish there was another source.
Parts are definitely a challenge for these cars, aren't they? I was lucky to find 2 parts cars very cheaply, one rust-free in California the other locally, both body only (no drive train or interior). I don't know what we did before ebay. Like many of you I have been in the other group for a while. I initially didn't see the point in another site, but now I think it's a good thing. This one is definitely easier to navigate. Best regards to all!

dowxxpa

Back to top Go down

New here, my '62 and me Empty Re: New here, my '62 and me

Post by Bill Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Welcome aboard Pete! I am glad to hear that you plan to drive yours too. Take some pictures of the window/roof rail rubber and post them in the on topic portion. I am betting you aren't the first to run into the problem, and I bet someone will answer it. I have a hardtop, so I won't be of use. Glad to have you here!

Also, if you need help posting pictures just let me know. I can make a tutorial if people are having issues. It is not the easiest process on this board.
Bill
Bill
Admin

https://skylark616263.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StageCat Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Welcome Pete, good to see new people. You speak the truth on finding parts. As for posting pix, what I do is load to photo bucket, copy and paste here. Not sure how its set here, I didn't read instructions.......lol. If your done with your parts cars, check out parts wanted in the forum; you may be able to help others and help support your dwindling bank account. At least that's how mine is but my motto is buy high sell low..........

Tom
StageCat
StageCat

Back to top Go down

Post by dowxxpa Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:04 am

Good idea about checking the parts wanted listing...I have a substantial number of parts not needed, various stuff, mostly for 2dr HT, stored up in the attic. It is not clear to me how to post pics here, so thanks for the tip.
Pete

dowxxpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum