1962 Buick Skylark Convertible

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1962 Buick Skylark Convertible

Post by cdnwillyg on Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:41 pm

I thought I should show the process of getting this old girl back on the road again after over 30 years of sitting in a shed since 1983.
Here it is coming home on the trailer:

A few pics of what it looked like in the shed:

Last edited by cdnwillyg on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1962 Buick Skylark Convertible

Post by cdnwillyg on Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Interior after mice tenants stuff removed!!

This what the top cleaned up like....awesome!

Just got in from driving it around the block...a little dicey with the brakes and the steering seemed overly responsive, very easy, no effort.
So I guess it starts,runs,moves, steers and kind of stops. All good but now need to sort out the electrical and a slight fuel leak at the fuel pump.

Last edited by cdnwillyg on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:57 am

Well after wet sanding with 1000 grit paper to clean off what ever was on the paint looks nicer and truer to the original color. You can see the difference between the hood and fenders, it then was power polished and waxed just to keep any metal protected while I do all the other stuff before repaint.

Now it was time to try and rid the car of that horrible mousy smell, so out came the seats, carpet and under lay......wow sure needed a mask doing this!

The only rot found was this small hole and only after running a screwdriver over the entire floor, so happy about that for sure.
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:22 am

The underlay was thrown out but the carpet cleaned to see if the smell and dirt would come out, and only using car wash and warm water the smell is gone and the carpet looks great!

So the plan is to fix the small rust hole and then wire wheel the entire floor and trunk. New seam sealer, POR 15, apply Peal and Seal as a sound deadener followed by a thin foiled insulation before the carpet goes in. I will paint body color to any exposed metal in the trunk and door sills.
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:43 am

Another dirty job behind me in the cleaning of the floor pans and trunk areas. Wire wheel revealed another hole but went okay. Also took all the deadening stuff out of the trunk lid, not sure how they put that stuff in there but a pain to get it out when it swells and stinks so bad!
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:32 am

So after talking with my auto body buddy who does $100,000 restorations, suggested not to use Por 15 but rather sand blast the rusted areas and then use a good epoxy primer followed by paint for a longer and better job. Sad
So wanting to do this right I will, this means more work and a little more time but want it right!
I removed all the mechanical stuff for the power top and drained the brake fluid from them. The cylinders were stuck hard but got them to move freely with a little persuasion with a 3 lb. hammer. The lines are good except where the mice ate thru one, replacing them. The motor/pump is also stuck and will need to be rebuilt today, I found this article which was very good I thought on how to over haul them:
@ autobodystore.com/forum/showthread.php?23148-quot-Basics-of-Basics-quot-Convertible-Top-pump-motor-disassembly-and-rebuild (couldn't post link but this address will work)
Here the girl is topless after 30+ years!
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reebz on Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:18 pm

looks great

reebz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:09 am

I rebuilt my pump and got new hydraulic cylinders and hoses from convertibleparts.com known as Convertible Service in San Gabriel CA and was very happy with quality and tech/cust service over the phone.

I started with hoses from Hydoelectric in FL and was disappointing with quality and materials used and switched over to Convertible Service.

New top weatherstrip came from Steel rubber but the front bow weather strip is not at all right in their kit. I ended up getting an off-application piece from Metro that worked well, if you want a reference for that I can dig it up. I may have posted about it in this forum.

62cutlassconvert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 pm

I got the motor and pump to turn but not sure if it will pump fluid until I get some new lines.
I will be trying a place in town that does hydraulic hoses to see if they can make me up a set of tygon tubing rated at 400lbs. with the ends I need, can't see how these cost $130 USD???Plus shipping to Canada.
I think the tops rubbers are going to work for a while yet but will need door/window weatherstripping all around those are done!But thanks for the offer...I'll keep it in mind.
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:17 am

The rebuild kit for the motor is about $25. Well worth doing the simple rebuild. Basically O rings and check valve balls which rust and won't seal. You should be able to hook up your pump with fluid in reservoir and pump a little through your old lines, but pumping rams while lifting a top is different. Your pump probably used brake fluid in it for the hydraulic fluid, corrosive and hygroscopic. Flush it out either now or if you rebuild and replace with trans fluid as recommended by the top guys. Likely your ram cylinder seals will leak. I tried using my old ones as they moved ok but both ended up leaking and I ended up having to replace them and go through the bleeding process again.
Hope your hydraulic shop can make up some good lines, could save a few bucks.

62cutlassconvert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Here are a few floor repairs that needed to be done:

cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:36 pm

And the piece ready to be welded in place:
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:22 am

Here is the floor after rust converter (Corraseal) was applied, the stuff sure goes along ways. So a change of plans, I will be using Por 15 in spots and painting in certain areas, wanting to make sure this old girl is sealed well. Just waiting for this to cure 48 hrs. before painting it.
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Lookin' good - keep the pix coming!

regal81455
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:45 pm

I got the painting done around the rear seat and trunk then applied Por 15 to the floor and trunk, sure freshened it up. I will give it a day and then seam seal the joints before applying the "peel n seal"/ insulation prior to carpet.

cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:47 pm

Installed "Peal n Seal" on top of the Por 15, sure is sticky stuff!!!

I then cleaned the old carpet  with a small  steam cleaner to apply some disinfection to make sure there was no residue left from mice.

I think  I will be installing some underlay to give the carpet a better feel, just so thin with no backing.
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert on Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:50 pm

Looks beautiful, and maybe you already have done it, but I would open up any and all breather/ acessholes to the braces, sills etc in that sound deadening. Otherwise you will trap moisture. Rust never sleeps.

62cutlassconvert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:19 pm

Thanks "cutlass", I wasn't sure what to do with them. I was thinking that it would stop more sound and heat covered but I see your point on the moisture, so I will open them all up before I install the underlay and carpet. Good catch!
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reebz on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:12 pm

Love it

reebz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:45 pm

While I have the seats out I thought I should go thru the wiring and fix all the small issues with the dash lights and signals. Well look at this affraid ...never thought bondo could be used to hold plastic together???
Well a little while anyhow.
Has anyone come across a glue that really works well on plastic dash parts?
Anyone have a spare cluster circuit board for sale?
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:42 pm

I took the cluster board in to get a few of the wire traces fixed and have the pins epoxied a little more solid as this is where the connections are flaky. The guy is also going to re attach the mounting bracket with some kind of super epoxy, so while this was out I decided to try and clean up the front bezel a bit as it had numerous scratches.

It's not prefect but a lot better than before. If I knew I could get another one if I screwed up I would get more aggressive and get all the imperfections out.

Once the letters are dry I will give it a good wax, just to seal it a little.
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:22 am

62cutlassconvert wrote:The rebuild kit for the motor is about $25. Well worth doing the simple rebuild. Basically O rings and check valve balls which rust and won't seal. You should be able to hook up your pump with fluid in reservoir and pump a little through your old lines, but pumping rams while lifting a top is different. Your pump probably used brake fluid in it for the hydraulic fluid, corrosive and hygroscopic. Flush it out either now or if you rebuild and replace with trans fluid as recommended by the top guys. Likely your ram cylinder seals will leak. I tried using my old ones as they moved ok but both ended up leaking and I ended up having to replace them and go through the bleeding process again.
Hope your hydraulic shop can make up some good lines, could save a few bucks.

So the shop told me that the fittings were unique and not NPT, but if I wanted to they would build me the set with NPT. So after thinking about it I took the plunge and ordered a set from Convertible Top Guys $100 USD and should be here this week. Still not sure if the cylinders will work without leaking while under load??
I never thought getting parts for a 60's Buick would be this hard, looks better if 64 and newer or 59 and older??? Whats with that!! Sad
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:49 am

I bought an NOS dash board for my 62 Olds on ebay about 2 years ago, They are out there. And there are used ones, but you takes your chances on opens in the circuit. DVAP certainly has them but the cars are stored outdoors in an open yard in AZ, tough storage for those boards.

Even the new one had some traces lifted, but it worked perfectly so far. The gas gauge corner of these boards seem to have a problem with lifitng and cracking at ground circuit, not anchored enough right there.

I think I misunderstand but are you saying he's going to attach the bracket with some sort of epoxy to the PCB? I don't think I would attach anything permanently that wasn't originally attached in that way.

64 and up parts are much, much, much more available. I have a 64 El Camino and you can essentially build a new one out of the catalog. One reason may be thery are more plentiful and more mainstream design with lots of crossover to other models.

62cutlassconvert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:55 am

He is going to attach the broken mounting bracket back with the epoxy.....instead of the PO's bondo fix?
Parts in USA hard to find try up here in Canada...just about impossible. I have only come across other owners of F-85 and Skylarks in the 61-62 vintage totaling 3 and no used parts around at all so far! I'll look up DVAP on the net, thanks.
Had a reply back from a guy on ebay about having the PCB and possibly some other items I need....just if he ships to Canada..eh!

Last edited by cdnwillyg on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update:)
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnwillyg on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:07 am

Not a great week in terms of the Skylark, first off my dash isn't ready yet hopefully today, and now I find out that the top tubing I had sent up is not right for my original cylinders.Shocked  In 62 they used a cylinder that has a fitting inlet size of 1/2-20 and I'm told that all new cylinders now have 7/16-24 size. To try and find an adapter to work is not going well for me but the "Convertible Top Guy's" are trying to find some or tubing that has the fitting size for my cylinders. I'm hoping they find adapters because if I change the tubing to 1/2-20 then if I ever replace the cylinders ...which will be new I will need to buy different sized tubing again. Sad Sad
cdnwillyg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next