Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

63 Skylark Convertible assistance needed!

4 posters

Go down

63 Skylark Convertible assistance needed! Empty 63 Skylark Convertible assistance needed!

Post by Bryan Denis Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:03 am

Hello everyone. I am in the process of purchasing a 63 Skylark convertible that's rust free from California. Price is 2000. I have been trying to locate any part that I may need for this car without much luck. I was told the engine should be rebuilt and don't know about the 2 speed tranny. Only has 55k on original drive train. No floor, frame or trunk rot as well. It will need a couple of chrome pieces around the tail light but have called all the salvage places that are listed on Google (in the country) to help locate them with no luck. Are parts at swap meets rare as well? It will need a new top and the top motor was bad as well. it will need painted, Doors shut nice, it has not even been rigged anywhere on the car (still has am radio). I don't have much to put into the car, but I'm afraid if I pass on this one, I will not find anything similar that is structurally sound anywhere near this price. I hate to even mention about interchanging the drive train, but that could be a possibility down the road if need be. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated! Bryan

Bryan Denis

Back to top Go down

63 Skylark Convertible assistance needed! Empty Re: 63 Skylark Convertible assistance needed!

Post by Bill Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:46 pm

A drive train swap isn't as easy as you might think - you can't stick a 350 in there without a ton of modification (firewall, etc...). Parts are available from time to time on ebay or craigslist. I have come across random parts without too much trouble.

Mine is a hardtop, so I can't speak to the convertible parts cost. Can you post pictures at all?
Bill
Bill
Admin

https://skylark616263.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

63 Skylark Convertible assistance needed! Empty Re: 63 Skylark Convertible assistance needed!

Post by Bryan Denis Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Thank you Bill, I will try to load a couple of the pics I have. I'm still searching for parts!

Bryan Denis

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:24 pm

You may be able to do a rebuild on the motor, kit is very cheap and easy to do. Probably used brake fluid in the day which can degrade and freeze the motor and a good cleaning, new ball seals for the valves and new o rings and it may work, worked for me. You will likely need new cylinders as the old seals will leak, and a new hose kit. I like Convertible Service in Southern CA as the one to go to, know their stuff with fair prices and good products. Much better than Hydo-electric in FL.

Parts for eng rebld are available, D&D Fabrication in Detroit has em all and your local machine shop can also get parts, I'm guessing you have the 3.5l alum v 8. I have an Olds so trans is different and I dropped a TH200 in it but I believe that 2 speed is fully rebuildable and is an OK trans. Lots of work to change drivetrain components.

All the weatherstrip is available, gotta find the trim where you can-here is a good place, post in the parts wanted section. Suspension rebuild parts are available.

You usually find a 55 year old car needs more help than it looks like once you get into it, Good luck.

62cutlassconvert

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Denis Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Thank you so much for the assistance! I'll take it day at a time. Yes it is the Buick 215 v8. I'll check on those places! Much appreciated!

Bryan Denis

Back to top Go down

63 Skylark Convertible assistance needed! Empty 63 convertible

Post by Jim O Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:15 am

Byan
I completly re did my 62 convertible special. Engine parts shouldn't be hard to find. TA performance www.taperformance.com/ has parts.
I got new waterpumps,oil pump, pistons, rocker arms,springs, bearings,valves,gaskets. You can buy rebuilt and new top pumps for about 200. Chrome Trim was is the most difficult to come by for me. Check ebay often as things are listed and sold quickly. I had a local shop rebuild the dual path Trans. Works just fine. If you put in another trans your going to have to modify that trans tunnel. Plus, the driveshaft is two piece with a bearing support in the middle. You would be changing all that as well. I have numerous photos of the car parts, motor, frame, interior if your looking for a comparison. Also get your hands on the service manual cd. Helped me a lot

good luck
Jim O.
63 conv

Jim O

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Denis Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:43 am

Thanks Jim, any and all help will be appreciated! The one trim part that I was looking for came and went off of ebay in less than 6 hours. I guess I better be quicker than that! I'm supposed to pick the car up this weekend. Thanks and will send photos and results!
Bryan Denis

Bryan Denis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down