what I'm starting with

View previous topic View next topic Go down

what I'm starting with

Post by custom880 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Just thought I'd take a few pics so you could see the monster I'm starting with. Guess I should of taken these before I started but don't think pictures while I'm working.

does anyone have one of these sitting around for the drivers side, the hinge assy. for back door.
custom880

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what I'm starting with

Post by regal81455 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 am

Looks like you have your work cut out for you -- keep posting updates please!

regal81455
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by custom880 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:47 pm

worked on the pass fender today, by no means am I a pro just do this as a hobby to keep me outa the bars.

The bottom of the fender was rusted out, I made the bottom section with an anvil ball peen and vise. the rusty insert was cut from a trashed fender

another shot of the piece I made

Insert tack welded in, using a tig which I'm new to (self taught)but having a few problems and I did get some warping which just happen to be under the brace, got some of it out by sliding flat bar under brace and hitting the brace.

any ideas on what causes this, I'm thinking dirt or rust in the metal but then I'm not a pro so any help?

gona need a little bondo only a lot less than before. Wanted to fill the moulding holes but we're having freaky weather 95+ with humidity thats unnatural for this part of Ok.
custom880

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Looks good!! Everyone starts somewhere and I too use this as a way to stay out of bars ( and any other trouble for that matter )!!

Can you tell us what kind of tig welder you're using and the settings / rods, etc.. this might help us figure out what is causing your blow through although I've got almost no experience with TIG. Others might though.

regal81455
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by custom880 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:06 pm

filled the holes for the chrome on the pass fender today and stripped the rear quarter, tail gate.

turned the heat down so I didn't get warpage  or blow thru

finished product and a shameless plug for what I drive when I need to go fast
custom880

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:54 am

One step closer to havin' her on the road!! Smile Keep posting the pics please!

regal81455
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by custom880 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:33 pm

been busy just not posting but since its Saturday I have a bit of free time. Been spending the last few days stripping the parts car.

cutting that rear quarter out was a pain in the AS>>>>>>

engine out of parts car seems ok held antifreeze and turns broke one bolt in exhaust manifold luckily it was the other side than the bolt I broke in the engine in the wagon, yes did use heat just not enough I guess.

I also straightened out the driver quarter as much as possible with a portapower and a little luck. I'm going to cut out the worst damage and weld in the patch. The door seems match again so I'm happy.

had to cut out the inner fenderwell to have access to the sheet metal, thought I'd have to cut the outer wheelwell but it pushed and pulled back into shape while using the portapower.

next will be to cut and paste this into the mess.

I hung the donor doors on the pass. side and cleaned them up a bit. Have some rust on the lower sill and already cut patches out of the donor just waiting to weld them in. My wife is thinking about having me paint it gold only after a few of these, we make it ourselves.....

I'm hoping to change her mind.......you guys have a great day!
custom880

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:48 am

Lookin good bro -- keep up the good work and the good spirits flowin'! Smile

regal81455
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by custom880 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:22 pm

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a professional body or auto mechanic. I spent 37 years being a crewchief on c-5s for the government until health made me retire. Everything I do has been self taught. I know it isn't perfect and yes there will be bondo. I just thought I would post my progress so that maybe someone else could say......if that ole-fart can do it.....
My avatar was my first attempt at a ground up build. I found parts in fields around here and built a truck. I did everything from body to interior, only the machining was farmed out. I had a little over 7k in the truck when I lost it. I'm hoping on spending less on the wagon. I would rather take a car heading for the scrap yard and even if it takes some bondo, try to put it out on the road again.

Reason I'm posting this is someone stopped by and told me I was wasting my time while he nick-picked my work, at least I'm doing it myself I told him. My saving grace was when he looked at the trunk of my 880 and the way I put new metal in it. He said it wasn't original but didn't look bad. He then let it slip out that his 30k cuda's trunk had a repop trunk in it only they pop riveted it in while they restored his car.

I guess what I'm trying to say  I'm 59 and still trying new things so for all of you that have doubts about doing your own work....don't it may not be perfect yet when it's on the road you'll have the satisfaction of knowing it's all yours and you'll have a chunk of change for your next ride.

On a side note rt338b-----wish I had your talent!
custom880

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Screw what others think bud. You are not doing it for them, youre doing it for yourself. I can't stand the holier-than-thou crowd. I think youre doin a great job, keep it up. You have skills from what Ive seen and youre only going to get better by taking some chances along the way.

regal81455
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by custom880 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Been busy again cut more body parts off of donor, pressure washed the engine bay and suspension and found this.

does anyone know if manual and power center link are the same? Cars shows a rebuild....is that using your old one or parts they have in stock.
I also did a little planning.
Where the black markers are I'm going to cut and bend the metal so the master cylinder will sit straight. The cuts will be bigger than the support and I'll fill with overlapping metal to keep the reinforcement. I'll cut the petal mount and bend it to match the new angle and weld the same.

I'm going to cut the firewall alone this line, just a little straighter, and bring it out, boxing the whole area to the bump near master cylinder so I can have more room for the vintage air system.

the controls are close to the same size as the vertical controls for the vintage system. Going to have to modify the dash to look sort of factory, did the same thing on my 46.
guess that's it for now!
custom880

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:15 pm

Hard to tell but the centerlink looks pretty rough -- the rebuild kit is approx $190 and all you get is the bit's and pieces within the tube -- mine had one of the ball sockets splayed open, kinda looks like you maybe in the same boat -- I ended up buying the tube brand new -- it's a rare parts product and lists for approx $500 in most places but low and behold I stumbled upon this site and was able to get it for $365 + s/h!!

https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/catalog/buick~skylark~61.html?3594=2331

Beats trying to work with a questionable part and isn't nearly as tough to swallow!!

regal81455
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by custom880 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:26 pm

more cut and paste...
passenger rocker had these funny little holes

holes gone

same where the stainless mounts to for the carpet
before

after

front inner fender had rust as well
before

after

a little seam sealer for good measure, don't worry I'll clean it up more before paint

also took the front suspension out of parts car, anyone needing front drums I'll have 2 sets...going 5 lug disk brake

and my next tackle, already cut lower section out of parts car, its not as bad as it looks still needs a little metal added only a lot less than whats on the car

Some of you might think I'm nuts fixing a car so bad. I think that's the fun of it. I wouldn't be making it into a sedan delivery if it was in better shape. Leave the good cars for the restorers. (Ok I am nuts but having a blast)
custom880

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 62cutlassconvert on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:33 pm

From the looks of your front suspension mount you have the early style bushings. I bought a pair of the side mounts for my car but turns out there are early and late ones, unfortunately the ones I got are early ones and I need late ones. If your interested in the ones I have send me a PM, I'd like to sell them. If you're not interested guess I'll ebay 'em.

62cutlassconvert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by custom880 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Well slow day so I thought I'd get caught up. Been busy,
cleaned and por15 the engine bay, left the firewall clear since I have some modifying to do once I get the brake master cylinder.

fixed rear quarter

filled more holes and removed door handle on rear door

fixed some rust on the tail end of the wagon

made a forced air respirator
shop vac exhaust and it comes with a heepa filter.
last I primed the fenders a door and the body of my 880

I did the bodywork first on the 880 and have since found out that you can use the 2k epoxy primer first, to keep the metal from rusting under the bondo, then do the bodywork so I'm trying that out on the wagon. You'll see it here Very Happy
custom880

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top