Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ac and running an alternator

3 posters

Go down

ac and running an alternator Empty ac and running an alternator

Post by custom880 Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:45 pm

So finally have the floors patched up on my wagon. Was just wondering before I drive myself nuts again if anyone has swapped to an alternator and upgraded the ac to run 134 A (late model compressor). There's not much room since the wagon has power steering. Any thoughts, ideas or help?

Thanks
custom880
custom880

Back to top Go down

ac and running an alternator Empty Re: ac and running an alternator

Post by regal81455 Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:03 am

I'm not super familiar with wagons and the AC setup - is the compressor on the passenger side of the motor?  

Converting to an alternator is easy assuming the compressor is not -- just need an "F" bracket and a portion ( IIRC it's been a couple of years since I did mine ) of the original generator bracket.  

Or if you can find it, there is an OEM bracket off a 63 I believe that works too.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by custom880 Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:57 am

compressor is a monster tucked up under the power steering pump on the drivers side, had to pull the harmonic balancer just to remove a mounting bolt. When I got the car it had an alternator just jerry rigged. The parts car I got still has the gen on it hopefully I can modify those parts. thanks for the info
custom880
custom880

Back to top Go down

Post by lp1330 Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:18 pm

custom880 wrote:compressor is a monster tucked up under the power steering pump on the drivers side, had to pull the harmonic balancer just to remove a mounting bolt. When I got the car it had an alternator just jerry rigged. The parts car I got still has the gen on it hopefully I can modify those parts. thanks for the info
If the car is a 61 and has the original compressor , it is an A5, which is much larger than the venerable A6 which came out the next year. The A5s are welded and cannot be rebuilt without cutting them open. The last working A5 I saw was on a 60 Cadillac in 1982. Rebuilts are available, but very costly. 61 was also the last year for hot gas bypass to prevent freezeups. The next year they went to suction throttling valves.A5 and A6 use different brackets. A6 is a great compressor, although a lot of people are going away from them on classic cars because they supposedly suck a lot of HP to run them. Personally, when it is 100+ in S. Tx, I dont care how many hp it takes as long as it blows cold air.

lp1330

Back to top Go down

Post by custom880 Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:36 pm

Here's a picture of whats in the car.ac and running an alternator 20170822
ac and running an alternator 20170821

I'm thinking about just going vintage air. That's what I put in my 46 chevy (avatar), well the ex's 46 she got it in the big D.
custom880
custom880

Back to top Go down

Post by lp1330 Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:18 pm

Looks like an A5 guess your car is a 61. What is all over the compr? mud, rust? Vintage Air may indeed be a better way to go. I have never had any experience with them, but have read and heard good things. They may be able to come up with a system that uses your original vents and controls and everything else new.

lp1330

Back to top Go down

Post by custom880 Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:27 pm

That's 50+ years of Oklahoma dust. If I go vintage I'll go with everything since their stuff is more compact. As for the original probably go on the shelf.
custom880
custom880

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down