master cylinder

View previous topic View next topic Go down

master cylinder

Post by 63lark on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:59 am

Hi, anyone know where I can find a master cylinder or rebuild kit for a 63 Skylark? Still has the original drum brake non-power set up on it. My brakes seem to go soft as you hold the pedal down and then next time you step on them, they grab and darn near lock up. Master cylinder is full and no obvious signs of it being a wheel cylinder being bad.

Thanks,
Doug
63lark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: master cylinder

Post by Bill on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:00 am

+1. The conversion is not too bad either (both in terms of labor and price, if you do it yourself). Much safer.
Bill
Admin

View user profile http://skylark616263.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 63lark on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:33 am

So basically get the ScareBird conversion kit and go from there? I did want to keep the car as original as possible but excellent point about safety. Thanks guys.

Doug
63lark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by 63lark on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:34 am

Thanks Keith, that is what I was kind of hoping to hear. I looked over the thread on the ScareBird conversion & will go to a dual bowl master cylinder & leave the drum brake set up. Parts needed then will be a mid-60's AMC mc or 94 & up S-10 mc, a new distribution block (to re-locate the brake switch) and any type of proportioning valve?
63lark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim_D on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:52 am

63lark wrote:Thanks Keith, that is what I was kind of hoping to hear. I looked over the thread on the ScareBird conversion & will go to a dual bowl master cylinder & leave the drum brake set up. Parts needed then will be a mid-60's AMC mc or 94 & up S-10 mc, a new distribution block (to re-locate the brake switch) and any type of proportioning valve?

Having done the '94-up S-10 conversion, I would recommend against this if you are looking for a more period correct look. Or if you are wanting a more drop-in solution. The retention method of the pedal push rod into the S-10 master cylinder requires extra thought (and parts).
Tim_D

View user profile http://s634.photobucket.com/user/Tim_D_63wagon/library/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top