Buick Skylark/Special Forum - '61, '62, and '63
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread

+4
Esasky's62Lark
rt338b
Bill
regal81455
8 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread

Post by Esasky's62Lark Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Nice man!!!!! Looking good as always!
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread

Post by Esasky's62Lark Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:43 am

Josh,

What are you using as the backing? Just plain cardboard?

Finally got my door seals and division post seals from OPGI. 6 weeks after I ordered them. :-)

Also ordered some additional turbo related parts for the turbo build.

I sent a text to my buddy letting him know that my deadline for starting on the floor/turbo hot side build is this Saturday, April 30th.

If it doesn't start by then, I have no choice but to pull the car and find an alternative plan. :-(

Sucks, but I have to do what I have to do.

Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:30 am

Esasky's62Lark wrote:Josh,

What are you using as the backing?  Just plain cardboard?

Finally got my door seals and division post seals from OPGI.  6 weeks after I ordered them.  :-)

I sent a text to my buddy letting him know that my deadline for starting on the floor/turbo hot side build is this Saturday, April 30th.  

If it doesn't start by then, I have no choice but to pull the car and find an alternative plan.  :-(  

Looks like all the work I'm getting done is lighting a fire under your seat!! LOL -- Make it happen dood!

As for the backer, no I'm using 1/8" MDF for the door panels, the deck lid, and the side panels in the trunk. The trunk floor is 1/2" and 3/4" MDF. Before I start covering the door panels I will be spray painting the backside to help with moisture and will be covering the door itself, as well.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:40 am

regal81455 wrote:

Finally got my door seals and division post seals from OPGI.  6 weeks after I ordered them.  :-)

If it doesn't start by then, I have no choice but to pull the car and find an alternative plan.  :-(  

Looks like all the work I'm getting done is lighting a fire under your seat!! LOL -- Make it happen dood!

As for the backer, no I'm using 1/8" MDF for the door panels, the deck lid, and the side panels in the trunk.  The trunk floor is 1/2" and 3/4" MDF.  Before I start covering the door panels I will be spray painting the backside to help with moisture and will be covering the door itself, as well.

I am trying man! Hate having to rely on other people to keep forward progression.

nice! I'm assuming the 1/8" MDF is about the same thickness as the original door panel then?
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:30 am

Esasky's62Lark wrote:
regal81455 wrote:

As for the backer, no I'm using 1/8" MDF for the door panels, the deck lid, and the side panels in the trunk.  The trunk floor is 1/2" and 3/4" MDF.  Before I start covering the door panels I will be spray painting the backside to help with moisture and will be covering the door itself, as well.

I am trying man!  Hate having to rely on other people to keep forward progression.  

nice!  I'm assuming the 1/8" MDF is about the same thickness as the original door panel then?  

I hear that, that's why I've acquired so many tools!  I've stopped being reliant on people for the most part, otherwise nothing ever seems to get done.  Very few out there that you can depend on, sadly that sometimes includes even your friends and family.

Yes, the 1/8" MDF is the same thickness as the old door cards.  Total thickness of the door panel when upholstered is somewhere around 11/32" thick ( 1/8" card, 1/8" of padding, and 3/32" of vinyl ).
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:34 pm

regal81455 wrote:
Esasky's62Lark wrote:
regal81455 wrote:

I am trying man!  Hate having to rely on other people to keep forward progression.  

nice!  I'm assuming the 1/8" MDF is about the same thickness as the original door panel then?  

I hear that, that's why I've acquired so many tools!  I've stopped being reliant on people for the most part, otherwise nothing ever seems to get done.  Very few out there that you can depend on, sadly that sometimes includes even your friends and family.

Yes, the 1/8" MDF is the same thickness as the old door cards.  Total thickness of the door panel when upholstered is somewhere around 11/32" thick ( 1/8" card, 1/8" of padding, and 3/32" of vinyl ).

Yeah. I pretty much do everything myself except for welding where structural integrity is key. Just hoping something happens or I'm sure when I pull the car, it will strain our friendship a little. :-(

Nice! Looking forward to the finished product man. You're doing great!
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Esasky's62Lark wrote:Looking forward to the finished product man.  You're doing great!

Tx!! Much appreciated.

Gonna side track again lol -- saw you were interested in a 70's skylark on the v8 forum -- gonna start another project? lol!
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:58 pm

regal81455 wrote:
Esasky's62Lark wrote:Looking forward to the finished product man.  You're doing great!

Tx!!  Much appreciated.

Gonna side track again lol -- saw you were interested in a 70's skylark on the v8 forum -- gonna start another project? lol!

Sure thing!

That one could be a quick fix and drive! I am tentatively planning if my 62 doesn't get finished... which it probably wont. :-)
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:39 am

Esasky's62Lark wrote:
regal81455 wrote:

Tx!!  Much appreciated.

Sure thing!

That one could be a quick fix and drive!  I am tentatively planning if my 62 doesn't get finished... which it probably wont.  :-)

LOL so positive! Laughing Car did look pretty nice though for the cake he was asking.

Wish I could rename this thread to "My 2016 Spring/Summer Upgrades" lol

Here's a pic of what I did last nite -- I got sidetracked and wrapped the speedo hood in the CF lol

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 7 20160430
Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 7 20160431

regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:42 am

Sigh... I am trying to be positive pal. Hoping. :-)

Yeah, if I can get that car here for around 3,500, I would be stupid not to pick it up. Thing that sucks is that I would be buying it site unseen, you know?

HAHA! Hey, I don't mind that we are going all over the place on this thread.

I like that! Turned out real nice!
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:08 am

Esasky's62Lark wrote:Yeah, if I can get that car here for around 3,500, I would be stupid not to pick it up.  Thing that sucks is that I would be buying it site unseen, you know?  

LOL Oh I know -- that's actually how I bought the 61 SKY -- saw a half dozen pictures, didn't know what I bought till it rolled out of the enclosed trailer it was delivered in.

My advice to you is to get a # and talk with the guy on the phone -- you can get a feel for whom you're dealing with. Part of what made me feel good was...

#1 -- The seller was worried as much about an online transaction as I was -- he was worried he was gonna get takin' at first.

#2 -- He was willing to talk with me at length about the car over the phone and over time we gained some trust for one another. That's the only reason why I think it happened.
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:29 am

regal81455 wrote:
Esasky's62Lark wrote:Yeah, if I can get that car here for around 3,500, I would be stupid not to pick it up.  Thing that sucks is that I would be buying it site unseen, you know?  

LOL Oh I know -- that's actually how I bought the 61 SKY -- saw a half dozen pictures, didn't know what I bought till it rolled out of the enclosed trailer it was delivered in.

My advice to you is to get a # and talk with the guy on the phone -- you can get a feel for whom you're dealing with.  Part of what made me feel good was...

#1 -- The seller was worried as much about an online transaction as I was -- he was worried he was gonna get takin' at first.

#2 -- He was willing to talk with me at length about the car over the phone and over time we gained some trust for one another.  That's the only reason why I think it happened.

Yeah, its definitely a crap shoot you know? Where did you end up getting your 61 from? Did you just hire a transport company to deliver the car then? How did you do cash transfer?

He pretty good with returning emails and genuinely seems pretty nice. I usually base things like this on pics; and the environment around the pics. He's got a nice house and I saw an old Impala in the garage. That's a good sign. :-)

Just have to convince the wife to let me get the car. She already tells me that I have too many projects.
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:36 am

[quote="Esasky's62Lark"][quote="regal81455"]
Esasky's62Lark wrote:Where did you end up getting your 61 from?  Did you just hire a transport company to deliver the car then?  How did you do cash transfer?

My car came from Virginia, I hired a transport company to pickup and deliver, & we squared up via Paypal. Everything went super smooth and I couldn't be happier with the results considering all the horror stories you hear about.

The guy who bought my regal roller a few weeks back said and I quote "It's easier for me to ask for forgiveness then permission." lol! I was rollin' when I heard that so glad my wife let's me do what I want as long as it doesn't impact the household somehow. I apparently got one of the good ones... cheers
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:41 am

regal81455 wrote:
Esasky's62Lark wrote:
regal81455 wrote:
Esasky's62Lark wrote:Where did you end up getting your 61 from?  Did you just hire a transport company to deliver the car then?  How did you do cash transfer?

My car came from Virginia, I hired a transport company to pickup and deliver, & we squared up via Paypal.  Everything went super smooth and I couldn't be happier with the results considering all the horror stories you hear about.

The guy who bought my regal roller a few weeks back said and I quote "It's easier for me to ask for forgiveness then permission."  lol! I was rollin' when I heard that so glad my wife let's me do what I want as long as it doesn't impact the household somehow.  I apparently got one of the good ones... cheers

Gotcha. If you don't mind me asking, what did shipping run ya? That's good to hear that all went well.

HAHA! that's awesome! Mine pretty much lets me do what I want too just as long as it doesn't negatively effect the family. I feel I got a good one too! She is definitely into cars which is a good thing! cheers
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:48 am

Esasky's62Lark wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what did shipping run ya?

I kinda got lucky to be honest -- I paid $800 for the transport from VA to IL BUT it was supposed to be on a open trailer. Just so happened that a guy from Chicago was heading home for Thanksgiving ( I got my car the day before ) and was in the area with an open spot on his enclosed so he took the job for the price I paid. The seller was laughing when they showed up cuz the transport co had a $250k Bentley in the trailer coming back with my car so we both knew my little toy was going to be in good hands.

Good to hear you have a good one too Chris, there are a lot spoiled eggs out there, keep her close. Mine isn't really into cars but she allows me to be me. Very Happy
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Esasky's62Lark Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:50 am

regal81455 wrote:
Esasky's62Lark wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what did shipping run ya?

I kinda got lucky to be honest -- I paid $800 for the transport from VA to IL BUT it was supposed to be on a open trailer.  Just so happened that a guy from Chicago was heading home for Thanksgiving ( I got my car the day before ) and was in the area with an open spot on his enclosed so he took the job for the price I paid.  The seller was laughing when they showed up cuz the transport co had a $250k Bentley in the trailer coming back with my car so we both knew my little toy was going to be in good hands.

Good to hear you have a good one too Chris, there are a lot spoiled eggs out there, keep her close.  Mine isn't really into cars but she allows me to be me. Very Happy

That's not too bad. Who did you end up using for transporting the car? That's bad ass man!

That I do Josh. She definitely puts up with a lot from me that's for sure.... :-)
Esasky's62Lark
Esasky's62Lark

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:26 am

Esasky's62Lark wrote:Who did you end up using for transporting the car?

Truthfully, I have no idea lol -- I just filled out some online form and got a billion quotes from brokers and ran with one that seemed reasonable but not too low priced either, didn't want sanford and sons showing up lol
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:06 pm

Ok so don't judge -- it's far from finished but the passenger side door panel has been covered. I still need to mask it off, clean the upper vinyl and dye it. Then Ill add the trim on the top and cut/mount the speakers. This is simply just a peek. Smile

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 7 20160432
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:31 pm

Holy **** that looks good!! Nice work man!
Bill
Bill
Admin

https://skylark616263.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:39 pm

I re-named the topic too. Seemed more appropriate.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:02 pm

Bill wrote:I re-named the topic too. Seemed more appropriate.

LOL That's awesome Tx Bill!
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Mon May 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Josh - rather than starting a new thread I figured I would take this one further off topic - Happy Birthday!! Hope you had a fun one.
Bill
Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Tue May 03, 2016 7:23 am

Bill wrote:Josh - rather than starting a new thread I figured I would take this one further off topic - Happy Birthday!! Hope you had a fun one.

Very much appreciated Bill! Very Happy
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by regal81455 Thu May 05, 2016 8:00 pm

Well door panels are 95% complete, pretty happy with the way they turned out. The dye worked well and looks good. Just need to burn some holes now thru the vinyl/padding for the speaker bolts, take them back off, install the nutzerts, and reinstall for last time with the cranks, etc...

Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 7 20160510
Josh's 2016 Upgrade Mega-Thread - Page 7 20160511
regal81455
regal81455
Admin

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next